Hard Cider Batch #7 – White Labs English Cider Yeast WLP775

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EpicCider

Reaction score
For my 7th batch, I will be making hard cider using White Labs English Cider Yeast WLP775. I picked up 10-3 quarts "Santa Cruz Organic Apple Juice." I mainly did this for 3 quart carboys (for my 1 gallon batches to have secondaries).

This batch I added yeast nutrients, and it had an OG of 1.05, no sugar added into primary.

Hard-Cider-Batch-7-1024x682.jpg

Hard-Cider-Juice-682x1024.jpg

watching some of you guys making 5 gallong batches with juice from glass gallon jugs ( or 3 quart ) makes me wish I coul dransack your recycling bin.

Still working on 1 gallon batches. Probably will continue to do so for at least a year before I can justify up-sizing

Phug, you'll save so much more cider on sizing up. I get an additional 5 bottles over the 5 gallons:). There is always Christmas or birthday:)

I agree, but one month in is too soon to scale up like that. plus, I bought a mini autosiphon. so now I have to get my money's worth from that.

Well at the store it is $10 and up for 48 oz of decent cider. Figure you make around 600 oz with a 5 gallon batch so you are making $120 worth of cider. Pretty easy to justify the cost of the equipment

watching some of you guys making 5 gallong batches with juice from glass gallon jugs ( or 3 quart ) makes me wish I coul dransack your recycling bin.

Still working on 1 gallon batches. Probably will continue to do so for at least a year before I can justify up-sizing

But you have to understand I am getting these 3 quart jugs to be re-used for my on-going 1 gallons.

This will be the only time I ever buy the 3-quarts jugs again.

Well at the store it is $10 and up for 48 oz of decent cider. Figure you make around 600 oz with a 5 gallon batch so you are making $120 worth of cider. Pretty easy to justify the cost of the equipment

I agree. If you are looking for cheap booze, ferment some sugar (dollar general has a lot of sugar based products) in a clean container.

I'm looking to find 4-5 "go-to" recipes over the course of several years of trying out different varieties. This isn't a business and I don't claim for it to be cheap, this is a hobby/mission.

Update: I used the recommended yeast nutrients and it's at 1.00 FG already.... The post here was a bit late, but I pitched the cider on 1/27/14. 7 days total.

I racked to secondary, it's very dry and honestly I don't care for it. Sulfur-y as well. Hoping this one mellows with time, was surprised because I've heard so many people talk highly of this yeast strand.

Spend the 40 dollars and get a 6 gallon carboy.

Spend the 40 dollars and get a 6 gallon carboy.

Too late. I now have 2x half gallon, 1x 3 quart, 8x 1 gallon, 1x 3 gallon, 1x 5 Gallon, all in glass, as well as 2 5 gallon buckets, and 2 6.5 gallon buckets.

Back