Ordered a MRB, but got some extras! Help ID them PLZ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone know the dimensions of a 6 gallon carboy?

Diameter/Height?

God I love the internet.

What did we do before the internet?!

Haha, its on the website I bought the carboy on. 19.25 inches high, and 11.25 inches diameter

The STC-1000 is simply an electronic thermostatically controlled switch that's wired into a normal, everyday 2-plug wall outlet to create a "control box".

It senses the temp via its temperature probe that I attach to the side of my LBK. If the temp falls below the set value by 0.5C (the tolerance that I've set), it sends power to whichever plug you've wired for "heat" until the temp goes back up to what you had set, then it turns it off. If the temp goes up to 0.5C higher than the setting, it then turns on the "cold" outlet until it has cooled. If the temp is in the correct range, neither of the outlets have any current to them.

You need to have the freezer or fridge (turned all the way cold) plugged into the "cold" outlet. You also need to have a heat source (like the light bulb inside the paint can) plugged into the "heat" outlet and sitting inside the freezer/fridge.

It's shweet. I can ferment at whatever temp I want at the touch of a few buttons. My next batch, I plan to use Nottingham yeast and will set it for 61F since it's an ale yeast, but reportedly does better at cooler temps.

I don't get the part where you said: "Like the light bulb inside the paint can" part...

I think I'm getting a 15 or 20 cubic foot chest freezer in the next couple weeks...

I don't get the part where you said: "Like the light bulb inside the paint can" part...

I think I'm getting a 15 or 20 cubic foot chest freezer in the next couple weeks...

Glad to elaborate. Take a look at this link - http://brewstands.com/fermentation-heater.html I simplified their design a little by running the cord through a hole drilled in the lid and mounting the socket to the lid using only the self-tapping screws (no pancake) to mount a porcelain light socket to the lid (make sure that you insulate the contacts from the metal lid if you do that).

The compressor for your freezer can only cool. If the fermentation chamber sits anywhere where the temp may get below your desired temp (like my garage this time of year), you've got to have a heat source. A 90 watt bulb inside the paint can makes a lot of heat. Once it warms up here, I'll simply remove the paint can for the summer months.

Looks like you're getting a ton of good info. I'm in the Dothan area but I travel through Mobile pretty frequently. Used to work up around Citronelle/Saraland area.

Cool man! Yeah tons of great info here!

Floyd, thank you for the link! I'll get busy on that right away. I'm still hunting a big chest freezer for now though. I could put the bottles in there too for the carbing phase :D

Medic, Dothan is a cool place :D I had some friends who used to autocross up there. I have some family out in Saraland.

I just hit up Dennis at the Winesmith a couple days ago, and picked up some goodies I forgot to order from an online home brew store.

(PS How bout that Tide! Killed Notre Dame! Alabama is the home of the crystal ball!!!)

Floyd, thank you for the link! I'll get busy on that right away. I'm still hunting a big chest freezer for now though. I could put the bottles in there too for the carbing phase :D

For most beers, I understand that bottle carbing is best done a bit warmer, like 70-72 degrees F.

I'll be bottling my first batch in about a week. The bottles will not be going back into the chest freezer. It will be turned down to 55 degrees for a batch I'm getting ready to make (using Nottingham yeast).

Instead, they'll be in a laundry basket, covered by a blanket, in a closet for 4 weeks to carb/condition. My house temp is right at 70 this time of year.

Back