Aeration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomasben

Reaction score
How do you guys do it...been thinking of getting Williams aeration wand...I just don't feel like my shaking the car boy is cutting it. Nothing gets below 1.015...even with a big starter

i have something like this.. i give it a blast for like 30 sections for each 5 gallon batch and it seems to work well.. never had a stuck fermentation or really a slow start of any kind.. i also pitch enough yeast after being on a stirplate for a couple days, so i really can't say how much more it is helping my beers.. but it sure doesn't hurt

I usually just drop the wort into the bucket from a few feet. I know it's not ideal and I plan on getting an O2 system later, but I'm not sure aeration is the cause of your "underattenuation". Do you brew with extract? Your fermentability may be limited to what the extract company makes it. There may be too much sugar left over that the yeast can't eat. If you are shaking, you are probably getting more O2 in your wort than I am.

I suspect your higher than expected F.G is not related to aeration. It could be a number of different things - possibly unfermentables from mashing to high or specialty malts.

I use a MixStir. I attach it to a drill and hit the wort for about 2-3 min. Works just as well as pure O2. you can pick one up at the LHBS for under $20. Ben, email me if you need more info.

Back