Irish Stout Guinness Draught Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Idk bout the coloration, but long as the taste is close (and mouthfeel!) then I will be happy. Chose to brew this to break in my new Guinness tap and faucet on my keezer! Granted I dont have nitro yet but I still got a month or so, and even then C02 wont be terrible.

As for my batch: Mashed at 150.6 for an hr, got a grav reading spot on with what I was expecting (1.045, but I reduced the amount of pale malt by just a bit, evening it at exactly 65:25:10 ratio). Ground the **** outta the roasted barley- made it into flour pretty much and from the boil got a nice roasted/chocolate smell. Used 1.4 oz of EKG for 60 min @ 7.2% AA. Total boil time was 60 min, putting the soured Guinness Extra Stout in at flameout. Cooling down to pitch right now while rehydrating yeasties. Already looking forward to this one!

Racked into the secondary after letting this ferment for 15 days at 63-68. Taste is spot on of guinness! Cant wait til I get this on my nitro tap, thanks for all the peeps with suggestions! Slainte!

Flaked oats will give the beer more mouth feel or allow the flavor to fill your mouth more fully. If you plan on using them I would start with a 50% 50% mixture of the 2, before committing fully..... otherwise it's an oatmeal stout.

:mug:

Has anyone tried using lactic acid to add some sourness at the end of the boil? If so, how much did you add?
I may make this next month without adding soured Guinness and try putting a tiny bit of lactic acid in the glass and pour on it and see how it tastes.

This sounds like a really good recipe, Would you consider trying Chocolate Malted Barley in the recipe for the closer taste of chocolate that Guinness has?
I would also wonder if prepping a yeast culture in a flask weeks in advance and freezing would be better for the overall outcome. As I read the production of a ready supply of yeast rather than using a same day yeast starter is far better.
I also understand that once you have made a successful batch of beer after you can harvest all that yeast when you empty out the fermenter. What have you to say?
I was also looking at a yeast culture online that produces an 8-15% alcohol content and another that makes a 12-25% ABV, I would love to try that I really love Guinness and the more ABV the better, saves me from having to drink so much. Any input guys?

-Roasted barley will get you some chocolate taste.

-Freezing yeast is a bad idea. for what we are making (5g batches) pitching a regular yeast starter or a packet of yeast is fine.

-Search for yeast washing

-bumping a 4% recipe up to 10%+ alcohol will not be the same recipe. If you're trying to make a guinness like stout, make a guinness like stout. Otherwise you're making something else. Was that last part a joke...???

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Freezing_yeast
First of all I was asking because the concept of freezing yeast would have seemed a wiser choice in the matter, perhaps I should have quoted the source for my idea, I was figuring we could get faster yeast cultivation if we pitch yeast we prepare in advance. If we use a Glycerin method to protect the cellular structure then the yeast would live through the process. Using yeast from trub and saving it makes the fermentation process take off faster too and saving time is always important it raises the efficiency of our endeavors.
I know that roasted barley according to all my research will produce a chocolate flavor, I was actually looking for some input, if someone had used it and the result, I know there is a hint of the chocolate flavor in Guinness and I can taste it then someone must have a close recipe with a little of it added.
I was actually not joking however about the increased alcohol, if I can find a Guinness tasting brew that has a higher ABV then all the better, the thing is, what do you call a Stout that is that high in alcohol? Since Porter and Stout I have seen have a content between 5.4% and 7.9% I wouldn't think it would be that big a stretch for the content to move about 4% higher, just for fun.

Just bottled this yesterday - pretty much spot on, though I used a slightly different recipe: 65% base, 25% flaked barley, 10% roast barley. Also I used London Ale yeast since that's what I got in my fermenters right now. I think the soured Guinness really hits the nail on the head here. From some internet research and calculation, that appears to be what this needs: 3% soured beer addition.

In fact, I left out 24 ounces of beer while bottling for when I brew this again this week. I might just turn this into a perpetual sourdough bread, but for beer.

Freezing yeast - Home Brewing Wiki
First of all I was asking because the concept of freezing yeast would have seemed a wiser choice in the matter, perhaps I should have quoted the source for my idea, I was figuring we could get faster yeast cultivation if we pitch yeast we prepare in advance. If we use a Glycerin method to protect the cellular structure then the yeast would live through the process. Using yeast from trub and saving it makes the fermentation process take off faster too and saving time is always important it raises the efficiency of our endeavors.
I know that roasted barley according to all my research will produce a chocolate flavor, I was actually looking for some input, if someone had used it and the result, I know there is a hint of the chocolate flavor in Guinness and I can taste it then someone must have a close recipe with a little of it added.
I was actually not joking however about the increased alcohol, if I can find a Guinness tasting brew that has a higher ABV then all the better, the thing is, what do you call a Stout that is that high in alcohol? Since Porter and Stout I have seen have a content between 5.4% and 7.9% I wouldn't think it would be that big a stretch for the content to move about 4% higher, just for fun.

guiness extra stout is higher in ABV. guiness draught is famously low in calories and abv, which is what this clone is. i plan on brewing this in a couple weeks and would not change anything since most everyone says the taste is spot on....

How much yeast should I use? It says two packages, but my LHBS sells Nottingham by the gram. I used 15g in the 5 gallon batch I made of pale ale, which is fermenting now. Would that be an okay amount for this recipe?

Rubes said:
How much yeast should I use? It says two packages, but my LHBS sells Nottingham by the gram. I used 15g in the 5 gallon batch I made of pale ale, which is fermenting now. Would that be an okay amount for this recipe?

I made a guinness clone today. About 2 lbs less grain though.... It came in at 1.051 for 6 gallons, using 10 lbs of grain. Great effeciency.... The pitching rate in my brew pal app says 7 grams of dry yeast for those specifications. 15 grams wouldn't hurt, but why pay more if you don't have to. If you went with the recipe listed here... Slightly higher gravity than mine, I would go with 10 grams.

I made a guinness clone today. About 2 lbs less grain though.... It came in at 1.051 for 6 gallons, using 10 lbs of grain. Great effeciency.... The pitching rate in my brew pal app says 7 grams of dry yeast for those specifications. 15 grams wouldn't hurt, but why pay more if you don't have to. If you went with the recipe listed here... Slightly higher gravity than mine, I would go with 10 grams.

Thanks very much! I'm going to try this soon.

This sounds like a really good recipe, Would you consider trying Chocolate Malted Barley in the recipe for the closer taste of chocolate that Guinness has?
I would also wonder if prepping a yeast culture in a flask weeks in advance and freezing would be better for the overall outcome. As I read the production of a ready supply of yeast rather than using a same day yeast starter is far better.
I also understand that once you have made a successful batch of beer after you can harvest all that yeast when you empty out the fermenter. What have you to say?
I was also looking at a yeast culture online that produces an 8-15% alcohol content and another that makes a 12-25% ABV, I would love to try that I really love Guinness and the more ABV the better, saves me from having to drink so much. Any input guys?

This recipe left alone is Awesome! It has become my staple brew. I did however just make a batch with a Chocolate Malt addition and it turned out very nice. It was a real crowd pleaser. Also, I dropped a few white oak chips that I had soaked in Bourbon into a few of the bottles and WOW!!! I am making a whole batch like that next time.

Yeast washing is also the way to go! there is a great post somewhere on here with pictues of how to do it... it is simple and will increases your cost savings in a huge way.

Zainasheff's starter calculator says 11g... so you are good. Oddly enough that means you could make this with one packet instead of two and be fine, if the yeast is new enough.

Most dry yeast packets come in 11g and should be hydrated by 10 times thier weight in sterilized water. Then stirred via magnetic sitr plate for 30 minutes or so and then a little wort added, and stirred , a little more so the yeast doesn't get temp shock and die, then pitch. Conversely directly pitching 2 pks of 11g will work because approximately 1/2 will die due to shock and rehydration in the hi temp of wort.

Does it make a difference if you sour a couple bottles of lager instead of a couple bottles of guiness?

Sour beer is sour beer in my book, you could even use aciduated malt of you were so inclined.....

soured beer is not only exposed to the air but light. If light can penitrate through the beer you will not only get a soured beer but a skunky one too. Skunky is that a word?? Anyway I would stay with souring either guiness or a darker coffee like beer to help with the flavor not change it.

Hey all. I brewed this yesterday and ended up with grav of 1.064, lost a ton during boil, from 8 gallons to 5. New brew pot is super wide, that coupled with the dry Utah air can account for my loss. I only used one package of Nott, is that going to be enough? i have ~4.5 gallons. The fermentation took of like a rabbit after maybe 8 hours, I'm just worried about attenuation.

Any advice would be awesome, thanks.

PS. I followed recipe to the tee aside from the single pack of yeast.

If it took off that quick you should be fine. If your worried about attenuation, you could at some yeast nutrient, and O2.

Served a keg on Saturday (I hope I don't have to explain why, what with it being the proper holiday and all). I didn't get the sour right, maybe because I only let it sit two days instead of four. Also this was fuller-bodied and less sweet than Guinness (which was also served at the party).

But guess what?! Everyone liked what I had in the keg more! Always a great sign! I'd certainly brew this again, especially how well that complemented the Irish carbombs that were insisted every hour! Cheers.

I have my Guinness sitting out so I can brew HOPEFULLY this weekend. This will be my first all-grain. Hopefully I don't get a stuck sparge with that much flaked barley.

Well I didn't get to brew my first all-grain last weekend, but I sure as hell am this weekend!

20 minutes through the sparge (fly sparging as opposed to batch sparging) and 3 gallons in the bucket. Looking and smelling fantastic.

Any Body know the expected calories from this recipe?

I'm looking for a Guinness clone recipe that is as low calorie (or lower) than the original. You know a nice DRY stout.

Just a quick update:

The clone fermented our REALLY nicely. The last gravity reading I took, I drank and it has that nice twang from the soured Guinness that is almost exactly like real Guinness. Bottling tomorrow or Sunday and then drinking it when I get home from India in June.

Just wanted to say thanks for the recipe. I followed this to the letter, and the stout is fantastic. My friends are raving about it, and I'm forced to have to make another batch way faster than I expected. Drinking one now, and I love the taste of Guinness going on in my tastebuds right now!

there is something very wrong with leaving Guiness in a bowl on the counter for 4 days... it wouldn't last an hour on my counter...

Looks like this will be my first AGish brew. Due to a lack of equipment I am probably going to do a half batch BIAB.

Locally it look slike the nottingham yeast is the only option, should I manage to track down a WLP004 would I have to get a starter going?

Constructive advice and input is obviously welcome.

Yeast use is a mixed bag. I am not married to the specific yeast for a recipe unless it is a high gravity and I need more attenuation. I would consider what temp you will be able to control for picking a specific yeast.

Just pitched this, was my first all grain. Mashed at 152 which ended up working but was two degrees hotter than planned. I did two starters LHBS was out of British II so I spit this into 3 separate batches. One with Nottingham and 1056, one with American ale and Safale05, and the last pitched from the envelope of Safale05. Since I hit my gravity I wanted to see which profile I liked better. All in all a great first time all grain. Thanks for all the great info

This is my second time brewing this. I cut back a little on the base malt to lower the gravity. I mashed 150-151 for 90 min. Boiled nearly 90 min, added 12 oz of soured stout at about 1 min to flameout. I pitched and it's been about 4 days since then and fermentation seems complete...I used WLP090. I drew a cup out to use for making some espresso stout brownies. Here is where I want some reassurance. The flavor is pretty sharp, almost acidic, then roasty and finally bitter. I know it's really young. Please tell me its going to mellow out. I think my thin mash may leave it too dry. My backup plan is to boil and add a little maltodextrin if it's too thin and dry.

This is my second time brewing this. I cut back a little on the base malt to lower the gravity. I mashed 150-151 for 90 min. Boiled nearly 90 min, added 12 oz of soured stout at about 1 min to flameout. I pitched and it's been about 4 days since then and fermentation seems complete...I used WLP090. I drew a cup out to use for making some espresso stout brownies. Here is where I want some reassurance. The flavor is pretty sharp, almost acidic, then roasty and finally bitter. I know it's really young. Please tell me its going to mellow out. I think my thin mash may leave it too dry. My backup plan is to boil and add a little maltodextrin if it's too thin and dry.

You can't expect it to be amazing after 4 days and really, if it started at 1.055ish 4 days and the yeast is still workin' hard :) Let it go 21 days and then keg or bottle it for at least 3 weeks but I'd wait a month. I just made my latest batch last weekend, I didn't cut it back and finished 5.75 gallons at 1.057, used 1084 yeast. I raise the fermentation temp at the end to reduce diacytl to 71 from 65... then after a a few days at 71 back to 65 for the next two weeks... I make this all the time and I never secondary it, I don't use sour beer in mine because I like the taste of the recipe w/out it..

...The flavor is pretty sharp, almost acidic, then roasty and finally bitter. I know it's really young. Please tell me its going to mellow out..

I just tried a sample after 2 weeks of fermentation - just about every green beer I try has the same sour overtones and after-taste and this one is no exception. Aside from that it does taste like Guinness draught less the creaminess, and I expect it'll be a pretty good beer in about 6 weeks.

Steve

For the record, this is the best beer I have made to date. Smooth and very very close to the real thing. This will be in the regular rotation in my brew house for sure. Thanks for all the great info and helping me improve my technique.. Next up cream of three crops..

I didn't read the whole thread so maybe it's been asked but has anyone ever tried blending a Berliner Weisse with this recipe to get the sourness?

Latest posts

Back