Dry hop potentialy overhopped CDA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kelpdog

Reaction score
Hi-

I have a CDA in primary that I using a partial mash recipe. This was the first time I had done a late extract and I wasn't aware that it has the characteristic of upping the bitterness. Originally I was shooting for around an IBU of around 75, but apparently the late extract ramped it up to 99. I'm wondering if I should hold off on the dry hop additions of citra/williamette, especially given that the estimated ABV is fairly low at or just under 6%. Open to suggestions!

malt & fermentables
% LB OZ Malt or Fermentable
44% 5 0 American Two-row Pale
27% 3 0 Light/Pale Malt Extract Syrup
18% 2 0 American Crystal 40L
7% 0 12 Carafa Special III
4% 0 8 Belgian Biscuit Malt
Batch size: 5.5 gallons

Original Gravity
1.054 measured
(1.057 estimated)
Color
33° SRM / 65° EBC
(Black)
Mash Efficiency
72%

hops
use
boil 60 mins 0.5 Amarillo 8.2
boil 60 mins 1.0 Nugget 12.0
boil 30 mins 0.5 Amarillo 8.2
boil 15 mins 0.25 Amarillo 8.2
boil 15 mins 0.5 Citra 13.4
boil 5 mins 0.25 Citra 13.4
boil 5 mins 0.5 Willamette 4.6
post-boil 20 mins 0.5 Citra 13.4
dry hop 7 days 0.5 Citra 13.4
dry hop 7 days 0.5 Willamette 4.8

Wyeast American Ale (1056)

Dry hop and enjoy. I clicked this to make sure you are from WA claiming a CDA. You rock.

Overhopped? Not familiar with that term, can that actually happen?

Personally I don't like Citra for dry hops I think it will just cancel out the Willamette, but otherwise sounds good.

Thanks for the replies-- @samc, what do you dislike about citra for dry hopping? I was hoping to get the earthy tones of Williamette to play nicely with the stronger citra flavor--kinda give it some backbone.

Something about the fruit flavors of Citra I find overpowering. It's not that the flavors/aroma are bad, they just make it hard for me to taste anything else. I've used it better as a 15 minute addition to finish off my supply and go with Simcoe, Cascade, Amarillo, etc. for DH.

i've dry hopped an "over hopped" beer. it was bitter to me, with not enough hop flavor or aroma to back it up. the dry hopping fixed it up for me. for the record i used simcoe...mmm

For the record this turned out fabulous. It was not nearly as hopped up as they calculations indicated it would be. I might up the biscuit malt to 10 oz but otherwise felt this nailed what I was intending. It has a complex blend between the hops notes and the roasty character that reminds me a bit of good dark roast coffees.

what makes it cascadian? is it cascade hops? if so, couldn't you make one anywhere? i'm not getting why you have to be in washington.:confused:

what makes it cascadian? is it cascade hops? if so, couldn't you make one anywhere? i'm not getting why you have to be in washington.:confused:

Cascadian Dark Ale is the term preferred by some brewers for ales otherwise known as "Black IPA," "American Black Ale," "American-Style India Dark Ale," or several other names.

Cascadia is a hypothetical nation composed of portions of British Columbia, Washington State, and Oregon. (Some maps also include portions of Alaska, Idaho, Montana, and/or California. Cascadia is named after the Cascade mountains. Cascade hops are also named after Cascade mountains.

A CDA does not have to be made with Cascade hops. However, they are typically made with the high-alpha hops attributed to the Pacific Northwest, including Cascade, Centennial, Simcoe, Amarillo, Columbus, Citra, etc.

Unfortunately, this thread is likely to be hijacked with the "CDAs are stupid" vs. "Black IPA is an oxymoron" debate.

As you can see from my signature, I am obviously firmly in the Pro-CDA camp. I live in Olympia (Home of Fish Brewing, which proudly proclaims "Brewed in the Republic of Cascadia" on all of its packaging.).

Still, I think the name-calling and trolling does a dis-service, since dark, hoppy beers with the mouthfeel and body similar to an IPA, regardless of their name, are awesome beers.

Personally, I think Stone's tongue-in-cheek response is more appropriate. Their latest anniversary ale is an "Escondidian Imperial Black IPA," referring to Escondido, California, where the brewery is based.

"The Republic of Cascadia" and "Cascadian Dark Ale" are both terms that are tongue-in-cheek. Don't take it too seriously or call it stupid, please.

nice. i've got a Narnian Porter coming up soon

j/k, but if its from the cascade mountain region then that makes sense

Way to contribute to the conversation on the OP's question.

Isn't the conversation essentially over? He said it turned out great. I suppose I could say 'you have more than enough body and maltiness via the caramel 40, I don't think it's possible to overdo hop flavor and aroma... so go ahead and dry hop the hell out of it'.

The naming thing isn't really very important but it's just kind of stupid...

Cambridge Brewing Company said:
The Black Ryder - "Noonan-Style American Black Ale

Black I.P.A.? Cascadian Dark ale? Let’s set the record straight, shall we? It was Greg Noonan and Glenn Walter of the Vermont Pub and Brewery who on December 4, 1994, first took an I.P.A. recipe and painted it black. More recently accomplished brewers around the country have begun producing this new beer style in earnest, with my personal favorite expression being Stone Brewing Co.’s Sublimely Self-Righteous. Now there’s a movement amongst many Pacific Northwest brewers attempting to define the style according to their own credit, calling it Cascadian Dark Ale.

We say “Stop the madness!” and accept the fact that once again, innovation has flowed Westward from the New England States. ‘Nuff said.

Steve Wagner of Stone said:
“There’s this small faction of people that seems to think it can call Black IPAs ‘Cascadian Dark Ales,’ historical accuracy be damned,” Wagner explains. “So, we thought we’d lightheartedly lay claim to our own style, dubbing it ‘Escondidian,’ both as an homage to our hometown of Escondido, CA and as a gentle ribbing to those Black IPA fans worshipping a false Cascadian idol.”

Stop the madness indeed... or start calling french fries "Idaho fries", french presses "Asian sweatshop presses", Spanish rice "American Southwest rice", and dutch ovens "Le Creuset ovens".

India black ale, IBA. No longer an oxymoron and describes the hops, color and alcohol content in general, as for the east vs west (hoppy dark beer vs roasted hoppy dark beer) leave that for another thread. Currently drinking heart of darkness from Two Beers, very good IBA.

Latest posts

Back