Autumn Seasonal Beer Lady Rumpkin Pumpkin Rum Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheWeeb

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Trappist Ale yeast (WL500)
Yeast Starter
3 L
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 Days @ 68
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 Days @ 68
Tasting Notes
See below
6 lbs light DME (Boil 60 min)
1 lb Traditional Dark DME (Boil 60 min)
1 lb Brown Sugar (Boil 60 min)
1 lb Maple Syrup (Boil 60 min)
¼ cup Molasses (baked with pumpkin)
1 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (Steep @155 degrees 20 min)
1 lb Biscuit Malt (Steep @155 degrees 20 min)
8.0 oz Wheat, Flaked (Steep @155 degrees 20 min)
60.00 oz Pumpkin, Canned, baked (see notes, Boil 60 min)
1.5 oz Goldings (5.0% AA 60.0 min) 15 IBU
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min)

Trappist Ale yeast WL500 in three-liter starter

Pumpkin spice tea: 2 Tablespoons of quality pumpkin pie spice mixed with 12 ounces of good spiced rum (I used Kraken) prepared on brew day but added at secondary

This is an "Imperial" version of the Thunderstruck Pumpkin ale, in an attempt to get closer to the Avery (Boulder, CO) Rumpkin, which is a 13% ABV monster that tasted like pumpkin pie in a glass, smothered in rum. I used some additional sugars to try and capture the depth of flavor of a pumpkin pie; including biscuit malt to emulate the crust. The pumpkin was spread in a baking dish and baked for an hour at 300 - 350 with a drizzle of the molasses and spice on top with the idea that some of the pumpkin sugars would caramelize and thus add additional authentic flavor.

Tasting notes: Make no mistake, this is a desert beer, a specialty that conjures up autumn and the smells and tastes that dominate the family kitchen.

A: 2-fingers rich head, deep mahogany with a rust-orange tint. Cloudy; almost like a copper red version of a Hefe.

S: Front is immediate nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, and rum; mingled with very nice smelling pumpkin.

T: Tastes like pumpkin pie drowned in rum! Pumpkin and rum are up front first, followed by the spices and hints of maple, molasses, and bread. As it warms, more of the sweet pumpkin flavors come through, always with the rum which does not subside. There is little malt backbone and the tiny amount of bitterness is more molasses-like than hop.

F: Thick and rich mouth feel, almost chunky.

Here are a few pictures of the pumpkin before and after baking, and the result.

pumpkintotheoven.jpg

doit.jpg

rumpkinpourd.jpg

Awesome post! Thanks for the ideas!

However, it seems like this beer with only 15 IBUs at such high Gravity would be cloying.

Of course, taste is in the tongue of the taster; this is by no way a session beer; rather, a slow sipping wonderful desert brew that comes in at approximately 8.7% alcohol (I did not do the exact math to see how much the rum contributes to this). It does fall nicely within the Brewer's Association Style Guidelines:

Pumpkin Beer
Pumpkin beers are any beers using pumpkins (Cucurbito pepo) as an adjunct in either mash, kettle, primary or secondary fermentation, providing obvious (ranging from subtle to intense), yet harmonious, qualities. Pumpkin qualities should not be overpowered by hop character. These may or may not be spiced or flavored with other things. A statement by the brewer explaining the nature of the beer is essential for fair assessment in competitions. If this beer is a classic style with pumpkin, the brewer should also specify the classic style.
Original Gravity (ºPlato) 1.030-1.110 (7.5-26 ºPlato)
Apparent Extract/Final Gravity (ºPlato) 1.006-1.030 (1.5-7.5 ºPlato)
Alcohol by Weight (Volume) 2-9.5% (2.5-12%)
Bitterness (IBU) 5-70
Color SRM (EBC) 5-50 (10-100 EBC)

Good to know. I agree that the hops shouldn't overpower the pumpkin and that the IBUs were low.

I was only speaking out of minimal experience with pumpkin beers (At such high gravity).

I'm kind of a hop head, but I do love pumpkin ales.

Pictures look awesome and for some reason I really want to eat that Pumpkin mess by itself!

Thanks for the recipe, looks great. I'm going to brew it specifically to enter as a Cat. 23. I believe with the maple and rum it should fit there no problem, especially as this is a smaller contest with only a few categories. Based on the tasting notes though, I might bump it up to 2 oz hops to take away a little sweetness.

I'll be brewing this up later this week:

Ingredients
6 lbs Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM)
1 lb Dark Dry Extract (17.5 SRM)
1 lbs Maple Syrup (35.0 SRM)
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)
1 lbs Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM)
1 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM)
2.00 oz Cluster [7.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min, 20.4 IBUs
4.0 oz Molasses (80.0 SRM) - Baked with Pumpkin
5 lbs Pumpkin, Canned, Baked (6.0 SRM) - Boil 60 min
1 lbs Candi Sugar, Dark (60.0 SRM)
2 tsp Pumpkin Spice, 5 minutes

Add 2 tbsp Pumpkin Spices and 8 oz Spiced Rum in secondary, 7 days.

Yeast: US-05
Est Original Gravity: 1.082 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 9.2 % (this does not include rum addition)
Bitterness: 20.4 IBUs
Calories: 151.6 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 22.9 SRM

This may be a dumb question but why not add the spicy rum mix to the boil? I never made a pumpkin brewed yet but I'm preparing to and this one caught my eye......

I thought about that, but figured by adding it to secondary you'd retain more of the spiced rum flavor you're looking for- adding it in the boil would likely burn off the alcohol and affect the flavor contribution of the spices. Really, there's no reason not to add it to the secondary. I'm compromising by adding spices in the boil and in the secondary.

I loved avery's rumpkin but I hate maple syrup. How evident was the maple in this? I might sub it for more brown sugar unless you think it added a lot of depth.

At my sister's who had a few of these as an xmas gift, neither her nor her husband remember any maple flavor at all. I do not think it was overly evident, but if concerned, substitute with honey. I think this would keep the fermenables count and honey is also a flavor associated with pumpkin pie.

I'm pretty sure pure honey burns out meaning it will raise your ABV but all flavor aspects will won't be noticed.If honey is what you want I would use honey malt.The flavor tends to stick around>>>>cheers<<<<<

Let us know how that goes Paul.

Just so I'm clear, the baked pumpkin is being added/boiled with the mash? How does that effect the consistency of the mash?

It's brew day! This is extract, but yeah, it's being added to the boil. I guess I'll find out what happens.

Here's my (tweaked) recipe. Using US-05 because I have a ton.

6 lbs Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) (60 minutes)
1 lb Dark Dry Extract (17.5 SRM) (60 minutes)
12.0 oz Maple Syrup (35.0 SRM) (60 minutes)
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) (steeped 20 mins @ 155)
1 lbs Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) (steeped 20 mins @ 155)
16.0 oz Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) (steeped 20 mins @ 155)
2.00 oz Cluster Hops [7.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min
5.0 oz Molasses (80.0 SRM), Baked with Pumpkin
87 oz Pumpkin, Canned, Baked (6.0 SRM) (60 minutes)
1 lbs Candi Sugar, Dark (60.0 SRM) (60 minutes)
1.00 tsp Pumpkin Spice (Boil 5.0 mins)
2.00 tsp Pumpkin Spice (Secondary 7.0 days)
3.00 tsp Maple Flavoring (Secondary 7.0 days)
5.00 oz Spiced Rum (Secondary 7.0 days)

Expected OG = 1.090

I like the tweaking you did on this, Paul, especially the additon of the dark candi sugar. In a S'mores Stout that should be ready in a couple of weeks, I actually boiled down brown sugar and corn syrup to just before scorching - hard crack stage, for you candy makers - to get a bit of burned sugar flavor. Depending on how it turns out, I may do the same for this Pumpkin ale. In considering brewing this again this year, I have done a bit of tweaking and will go with this:

6 lbs light DME (Boil 60 min)
1 lb Mars Otter, pre-toasted on a cookie sheet for 20 min @ 350 degrees (this takes the place of the 1 lb Traditional Dark DME in the original recipe in an attempt to get more of a pie crust flavor) (Mash 154 60 min)
1 lb Brown Sugar (Boil 60 min)
1 lb Maple Syrup (Boil 60 min)
¼ cup Molasses (baked with pumpkin)
2 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (double the original to get more of a malt backbone) (mash @154 degrees 60 min)
1 lb Biscuit Malt (mash @154 degrees 60 min)
8.0 oz Wheat, Flaked (mash @154 degrees 60 min)
60.00 oz Pumpkin, Canned, baked (see notes, Boil 60 min)
1.5 oz Goldings (5.0% AA 60.0 min) 15 IBU
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min)

Pumpkin spice tea: 1 Tablespoon of quality pumpkin pie spice mixed with 12 ounces of good spiced rum (I used Kraken) prepared on brew day but added at secondary (Cut original spice in half)

Should be most excellent for the upcoming holiday harvest season!

This thing is still bubbling pretty frequently through the blowoff tube after a week of fermenting. Tons of pumpkin sitting at the top and bottom. I'm going to try to wait until the pumpkin all falls down before racking to secondary.

On the subject of maple syrup, it's my understanding that it ferments out almost completely and leaves almost no maple flavor in the beer. A quick search here shows that unless you're using ungodly amounts ($$$) of the stuff, you're probably not going to get the effect you want. Extract seems a better option for maple flavor. Honey is similar in it's lack of effect -- molasses on the other hand leaves a bold molassesy flavor in the final brew. I add it to my RIS recipe with great results. These recipes here look fantastic guys. I'm filing the inspiration away for my first pumpkin beer, which might well be an imperial pumpkin ale, which I hope to work into a busy brewing schedule this fall.

On the subject of maple syrup, it's my understanding that it ferments out almost completely and leaves almost no maple flavor in the beer. A quick search here shows that unless you're using ungodly amounts ($$$) of the stuff, you're probably not going to get the effect you want. Extract seems a better option for maple flavor.

so true - any advice on a good maple syrup extract, how much to use, and at what point added?

This would save some dollars for sure!
:mug:

Brewed this last night, pitched a 3L starter, this morning I have this to greet me.. . .:ban:

Note: I decided to use a clean yeast - California Ale WPL005 - as I did not want the yeast to add any estery flavors that might take away from the pumpkin, and that one seems to be high alcohol tolerant as well as excellent attenuation. In addition, I am using the lagering fridge to keep the temp on the low end for this yeast, around 65 degrees.

rumpkinferment.jpg

Hey,
Has anyone made an all grain version of this beer? It sounds amazing and I am trying to do the conversion so I can brew it but when I plug it into beersmith it tells me that my OG is going to be through the roof! like 1.200
any help would be great

Hey all, please disregard the last post. I looked at my recipe on beersmith and realized that I had it set for a 2.5 gal batch, that is why the OG came out so high.

The spice "tea" that will go into the secondary in two more weeks; 12 oz Kraken spiced rum (47% ABV) with maple extract, a bit of vanilla extract, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, and ginger. Can't wait!

rumspicetea.jpg

Giving this one a go tonight with a few tweaks as I go... I may just "build" the pumpkin pie spice instead of using a premixed one and am considering the toasting of a pound of maris otter based on an above suggestion. I was going to use MO instead of biscuit and go caraamber and cara 20 in the steep... I'll post the final version when it's done...

So I did brew this beer up (with a few tweaks) on the 25th. Here is how is went;

1# Caraamber (steep)
1# Maris Otter (steep) (toasted for 45 min @ 300F, love that idea)
1# Wheat (steep)
.5# Caramel 20 (steep)

"Boil"
6# Light DME
1# Dark DME
1# Organic Brown Sugar
16 oz. Local Maple Syrup (Sugarbush Hollow for the record, so good)

"Pie"
60 oz canned organic pumpkin
1/4 cup blackstrap moleasses
1/4 tsp cinnamon

"Tea"
375 ml Captain Morgan Spiced Rum
1 Tbsp cinnamon
1 Tbsp nutmeg
1/2 Tbsp ginger
1 Tbsp real Vanilla extract

Before getting started I baked the "pie" for 45 min @ 400F. I steeped the grains @ 155F for 35 min, "sparged" with 1 gal @ 170F, added the brown sugar, DME, pie, and maple syrup to the kettle in that order.

The boil went well. The pie dissolved better than I thought it would. 2 oz of EKGs @ 60 min and 2 oz Tettnang @ 30 min. (I want mine to be a bit more hoppy than OP). I cooled to 72F (immersion chiller, topped up with ground water) and pitched activator of Wyeast 3787 Trappist HG.

Fermentation rocked for 7 days and then pooped out. OG = 1.095 (!). Gravity when I racked to secondary and added "tea" = 1.022. I was hoping for a little lower FG but did not use yeast nutrient or care to rouse this beast again (gave her a good shake on day 4).

Upon racking to secondary I found a solid three or four inches of sediment in my pail. I am assuming that it was a combination of pumpkin and yeast. I still have a decent amount of sediment in the secondary and have since stuck my carboy in the fridge.

Has anyone else run into this sediment situation? I figure this one to be a bit cloudy when it's done anyway, but it just seemed like a lot, and if the sediment is the pumpkin, did the pumpkin do its job?

I do plan on priming, although probably only with 2 or 3 oz of dextrose...

Upon racking to secondary I found a solid three or four inches of sediment in my pail. I am assuming that it was a combination of pumpkin and yeast. I still have a decent amount of sediment in the secondary and have since stuck my carboy in the fridge.

Has anyone else run into this sediment situation? I figure this one to be a bit cloudy when it's done anyway, but it just seemed like a lot, and if the sediment is the pumpkin, did the pumpkin do its job?

I do plan on priming, although probably only with 2 or 3 oz of dextrose...

Yes, with 30 oz of pumpkin and active yeast, there will be a huge amount of trub in the bottom of the primary. To minimize this, cold crash the primary for a couple of days before racking to secondary, then rack from the top down. Once the muck is reached, remove the racking cane and strain the rest using a large funnel lined with a nylon paint strainer. Using this method I was able to recover nearly all five gallons in secondary. Here is a pic taken just now of the Lady in secondary, after 3 days, only a "normal" amount of yeast forming on the bottom of the carboy.

EDIT: Opps! I just re-read your post, looks like you have already racked to secondary, sorry...

rump2ndary.jpg

I believe our secondary fermentation look quite the same. I have never brewed with pumpkin before so I was curious about the amount of trub that I got in primary. Plus I used the bucket and couldn't see what was going on...

Thanks for the reassurance! BTW, where did your gravity start and where does it look to end, if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks for the reassurance! BTW, where did your gravity start and where does it look to end, if you don't mind me asking?

OG was 1.086, when I racked to 2ndary it was 1.024. I expect it drop a couple of points over the next three weeks which will put it near the calculated 1.020. I want it to be rather thick.
:mug:

Oh, and just an FYI.... I scoped out two cups of pumpkin trub, saving it for the next day, with the intention of trying to make a pumpkin pie out it. I thought, "there must be much good pumpkin flavor left, and with the malt and hops, make a very interesting pie." WRONG! The next morning, preparing to make the pie, I tasted the trub, really horrible, like bitter sweaty armpit... don't try it!

I just made mine today...smells and tastes wonderful. I can't wait until it's finished. Oh and BTW, I don't think anyone answered about priming sugar...How much????? Regular 5 oz or less?

I just made mine today...smells and tastes wonderful. I can't wait until it's finished. Oh and BTW, I don't think anyone answered about priming sugar...How much????? Regular 5 oz or less?

To fit the style, 2.5 vol/CO2, which according to an online calculator:

Recommended Priming Sugar:
Sugar Type Weight
Glucose (dextrose or corn sugar) 4.3 oz
Sucrose (table sugar) 4.1 oz
DME 55% AA (eg: Laaglander) 9.8 oz
DME 70% AA (eg: Northwestern) 7.7 oz
DME 75% AA (eg: Munton & Fison) 7.2 oz

Does anyone have any suggestions for doing this recipe as a partial boil?

Right now, I'm limited to a 4 gallon pot, so realistically I'm only able to boil 3 gallons without worrying about boilover. Other than planning for approx 1.5 - 2 gallons of liquid before all of the pumpkin and sugars added, should I make adjustments to the quantities of grains / sugars / hops?

The plan is to top it off to 5.5 gallons once it's in the primary.

Ok, I'm kind of flabbergassed....I brewed this on 9/9 and my OG was 1.082. I did a 2L starter with only one vial of WL500. It fermented furiously but no big krausen with it. By 9/10 all activity had all but slowed and I figured it may have been to the high OG and not enough yeast to work it like it should. On 9/11 I purchased another vial of WL500 and pitched it....little to no activity. I checked gravity today and its at 1.020.

Does this sound right to you?

If so do I leave in primary or move to secondary and toss in the tea?

Do I leave it in the secondary for the balance of the 28 days?

Very confused...This is not my first brew but I'm also not an expert either. I'm just trying to find my way through new things. Any help offered would be greatly appreciated.

Ok, I'm kind of flabbergassed....I brewed this on 9/9 and my OG was 1.082. I did a 2L starter with only one vial of WL500. It fermented furiously but no big krausen with it. By 9/10 all activity had all but slowed and I figured it may have been to the high OG and not enough yeast to work it like it should. On 9/11 I purchased another vial of WL500 and pitched it....little to no activity. I checked gravity today and its at 1.020.

Does this sound right to you?

If so do I leave in primary or move to secondary and toss in the tea?

Do I leave it in the secondary for the balance of the 28 days?.

Really, Relax, don't worry......

If you look at the original recipe calculations, your present gravity reading is right on. I know that patience is the most difficult thing in home brewing, as you want to move things along and with your very vigorous three days of fermenting I would be tempted to "do something" as well. Just leave it alone for 2-3 weeks in primary, then rack it to secondary on top of the rum spice tea to clear most of the pumpkin trub and let it clean up for another 2-3 weeks. It should be awesome!

^agreed. The starter gives everything a running head start, like pitching from one batch to another... I wish I had the time/patience/space/lack of a one year old grabbing airlocks to regularly use starters...

My secondary is clearing up nicely, I plan on bottling it up this weekend, with 3 oz. dextrose.

ptra1004 said:
^agreed. The starter gives everything a running head start, like pitching from one batch to another... I wish I had the time/patience/space/lack of a one year old grabbing airlocks to regularly use starters...

My secondary is clearing up nicely, I plan on bottling it up this weekend, with 3 oz. dextrose.

According to the chart above it said 4.3. How come you're only using 3?

Yea, can't vouch for the others here, but I had a great time bottling this one. I broke my hydrometer so I do not know the FG after the rum spice tea, but the sample I pulled to taste is really fantastic. It is less sweet than last year's, probably due to the addition of ginger and cinnamon this time around. Delicious, makes me wish I had invested in a keg setup so I could drink it sooner!

EDIT: Postscript, within minutes of setting the tasting glass down on the end table on the deck in the back, two bees started darting in and out of it, dipping into the little bit at the bottom of the glass. It MUST be good!

Back