Noble hops for an ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Usne8

Reaction score
Hi,

I had a Sam Adams Noble Pils and loved the aroma. I'm not set up for a lager but would like to do a "noble ale" Does any one think this will work theoretically?

6 lb Extra light LME
1 Lb Light DME
2.5 Specialty grains steeped
The specialty malts are..
8 oz Honey Malt
8 oz Carapils
8 oz Crystal L20
4 oz Brewers 2 Row Malt
4 oz Caravienne

2 oz Liberty @60 (couldn't get hallertauer)
1 oz Saaz @ 5
1 oz Spalt @ 5
1 oz Tettanger @ 5
1 oz Saaz dry hop
1 oz Spalt dry hop
1 oz Tettanger dry hop

Any comments pointers would be appreciated.

Absolutely, I bet it will be very nice but just lack that characteristic lager yeast profile. I use noble hops for my blonde ales sometimes, and also for Kolsch and Wheat beer recipes.

You'll need to mash the 2 row, and I'm not sure if that would add much @ 1/4 ounce. I personally would dump the honey malt so as to let the hops have center stage. Maybe you could drop most of the specialty grains.

To me the grain bill is too busy for a German feel. Maybe something like:

6# Pils LME
1# Wheat Extract
Then maybe 4 oz of something like Munich or Biscuit.

Well, I say maybe 4 ounces of Munich/Biscuit but forgot this is an extract brew. Not really worth it to mash a 1/4# of malt.

I'd suggest:

YEAST STRAIN: 2565 | Kölsch™

True top cropping yeast similar to Alt strains. Produces slightly more fruity/winey characteristics. Fruitiness increases with temperature increase. Low or no detectable diacetyl production. Also ferments well at cold 55° - 60° F range (13-16° C). Used to produce quick-conditioning pseudo-lager beers. Requires filtration or additional settling time to produce bright beers.

Back