Odd Fermenters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grummle

Reaction score
So I've got a Haier NuCool sitting in the corner of my apartment that acts to regulate my frementation temps. Its internal usable dimensions are on the order of 12x14x24. I'd like to get two fermenters in there somehow. I'd like to do 2-2.5 gallon batches and be able to do two at a time. Or if I do one 5 gallon batch do half one yeast and half another. Basically get more flexibility and let me brew more often.

Anyone have any ideas for any vessels I could use?

It looks to be about 14.5" The push and shove method would probably get them in there. Its the right way too so the bottle wouldn't be pressed against the fan units. They are like 19" tall too right? What do better bottles use for a bung? the airlock fully pressed into a bung is another ~3".

Alright, looks like 2x3gal better bottles are a no go :(

Just got two today and they will NOT fit. Grrrr.

I don't know how close it is but if you can squeez a hose into the bung as a blow off that would save you a couple inches

Looks like they will fit no problem vertically. They are too wide. I'm going to cut some hollows in the walls of the fridge. I should be able to still leave about 1/2" of insulation in the thinnest spots and open it up enough to get both in there. I'll be mostly on ales working with stuff like Nottingham so hopefully the less insulation won't kill me. How hard could it be to keep it at 68? I'll post some pics after I get it cut.

Before you go cutting up fridges, what are the dims of 2.5 gallon water bottles or jugs that grocery stores sell spring water in? You can probably rig a method of getting an air lock on two of those pretty simply. Plus if it doesn't work you're out what, $3 and your fridge is still intact and ready to be modded. If it does work, cool, custom brewery!

I'm not to worried about modding the fridge. I had to cut up the front door to accommodate the 6.5gal ale pail already. 2.5 might be a little to small to ferment 2.5 in without some mess. If you see one of the 2.5gals take some measurements for me. I'll keep an eye out as well.

Well I cut up the fridge some more. It actually turned out to be easier then I hoped. I picked up the dremel multimaster knock off to do the cutting. Nice tool. Turns out he sander was the easiest way to get threw the foam. Also I only had to hollow out one side so that really speed things up. Just did my first AG 2.5gal batch and its chillin out in there now.

IMG_6958.jpg

IMG_6959.jpg

IMG_6960.jpg

IMG_6961.jpg

IMG_6962.jpg

Back