keggle build error??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BreWirfel

Reaction score
I built a weldless keggle a couple weeks ago, and have not had a chance to brew with it yet. After doing some thinking about the build, i think i may have messed up. I need your opinions.

When installing my weldless sight gauge/thermometer i drilled my hole above the little vent thing on the bottom edge of the keg. When i am on the burner, is this going to give me false temperature readings?

should i swap my valve assy, and temp/sight glass?

am i thinking too hard???

the part i am talking about is shown on this picture where the keg body meets the welded ring on the bottom.
half_keg.jpg

my setup is shown here
IMG00227.jpg

never thought of that. Great idea. There are others around the side, so i dont have to worry about gas build up...

I had a friend weld in scraps of ss where those vent holes are. I still have problems with wort boiling in the sight glass. Taking a wad of wet aluminum foil and forming it around the fitting helps but it still happens to mine. Maybe with my new burner (kab4) I won't have as much wasted BTU's making their way around the kettle skirt.

finally had a chance to do a test boil. used my digital thermometer in the water, while checking the accuracy of the dial thermometer. the heat from the vent hole is not enough to send false measurements. the 6" probe might help.

Brewing tomorrow :)

Back