Is my grain milled?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tspilker

Reaction score
I ordered some Crystal 10L from Austin Homebrew and requested to have it milled... but I am not sure what I am looking at, as I have never seen milled/non milled malt in person before.

Tell me I'm crazy and that it's milled. Thanks :D

20090410224149.jpg

and

20090410224219.jpg

Some of the hulls (right, hulls? the outside of the grain?) look broken open, im just not sure. My invoice says "milled" I just dont know what I am looking at.
/dumb_question

For an extract you should be fine !

I have brewed several kits from AHB and my grain looked like that as well.

If you are concerned about the grain you can take it down to the LHBS and ask them to mill it a bit more

-Jason

For an extract you should be fine !

I have brewed several kits from AHB and my grain looked like that as well.

If you are concerned about the grain you can take it down to the LHBS and ask them to mill it a bit more

-Jason

Do I have any reason to be concerned by the milling? Also. 165 degrees for half an hour is the standard steep right?

It looks milled, but just barely. I'd smack that bag around a bit with a rolling pin to crunch it up a little more, but that's just me. It'll work OK for steeping as it is. The finer the grain is milled, the more flavor and color (and with malts that have to be mashed, more starches convert) comes out. There's really no 'standard' temp for steeping. I always did 155, and it's good practice to get into that temp range for if you ever go to all grain brewing.

If its Briess, I say unmilled, when I get unmilled Briess Crystal from my LHBS it always looks just like that, I think its because its 6-row. That doesn't look milled to me.

If that is milled they are using a gap wider than my mill even goes. My vote goes for not milled...and if it is it needs to be milled again.

It happened to me once from Austin Homebrew during a sale. Forrest had hired some new guys in the packing department and the grain mill had gone a little off. He of course fixed the problem immediately, however, he can't fix it if he doesn't know about it. I would drop AHS or Forrest a quick email because it sure looks like who ever is doing the milling needs a bit more training.

As EvilToJ said, give it some more cracking with a rolling pin.

Back