Aluminum Kettle OK?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hukdizzle

Reaction score
I have access to a 60QT very heavy duty aluminum kettle. Now I know the aluminum is not a good insulator and will probably make sparging quite a frustrating ordeal but I would rather not spend 100$ on the pot I want just yet so I can start brewing sooner. Do you think it would be ok to use a really heavy duty aluminum pot or should I save my self some grief and just dump the dough on a heavy duty SS pot right now?

I used aluminum for a long time before finally buying a big stainless steel pot. I wouldn't have change either if I hadn't needed a bigger pot.

I brewed in aluminum once, and now I am deaf in one ear, blind in one eye, and numb in 2 fingers.

But the beer tasted fine.

thanks revvy, helped me out quite a bit as far as choice. I was wondering what you guys would recommend to clean an aluminum pot thats been sitting in a storage room for 8 months with crusted crawfish boil on it lol. I can't use oxyclean it looks like.

Your best cleanser is elbow grease. And some mild dish detergent.

Just remember to 're-season' the pot by boiling it full of water for at least 30 mins. This will restore the passive oxide layer on the inside of the pot, protecting bot the pot itself and the wort you make.

:mug:

Barkeepers friend is a great cleaner for all your metal pots. Use a non scratch scrubbing pad and a little hot water. If you have a lot crusted on then soak with some hot water a little before starting on it.

Craig

I have access to a 60QT very heavy duty aluminum kettle. Now I know the aluminum is not a good insulator and will probably make sparging quite a frustrating ordeal but I would rather not spend 100$ on the pot I want just yet so I can start brewing sooner. Do you think it would be ok to use a really heavy duty aluminum pot or should I save my self some grief and just dump the dough on a heavy duty SS pot right now?

This is what i got recently:
BREWPOT / HLT 9 GALLON HOMEBREW - eBay (item 290279788707 end time Dec-31-08 17:23:31 PST)

Just need a nipple adapter and you are ready to go! I couldn't built one for cheaper then i found this one for.

This looks like an excellent deal. I wish they would post the bottom type (clad....) and wall & bottom thickness. Does it come as shown with temperature gage? Why the nipple adapter, to rig the siphon hose to go to the fermenter?

Comes with gauge, and yes, the valve dosent have a hose adapter. But I got one at lowes for like $2.50. The bottom dosent have a clad plate in it i dont think. (Its at the guys house we brew at) We have only done 2 brews so far but it have performed very well for our needs. He seems to have great ratings also. If anyones interested I can show you how to save 20% also. A microsoft ebay thing.

Back