lager starter smelled of banana

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reinstone

Reaction score
Hi I did a 3 liter starter for a dortmunder I brewed yesterday. The starter had 5 packs of yeast in it and was on a stir plate. I pitched the whole starter into 12 gallons of wort.

Last night after pitching I noticed that the flask I used to make the starter smelled of fresh banana. I did not smell this when I smelled the starter before pitching. I know I should decant but here that wasn't an option. l

I made the starter and cooled it down in ice water until the flask felt cool and then I fermented the starter in a 52 degree fridge.

I may have pitched the yeast too warm but I would think that the 52 degree fridge would cool it off quickly.......

What can I do to prevent this in the future?

Is this a problem.

Will it show up in the final beer.

thanks-and Go Bears!!

Hopefully this is not going on in my beer-see pic :ban:

Lager strains dump out esters at ale temperatures and higher. So if you grew your starter at room temperature, that's why you got banana. It won't appear in your beer unless you ferment it too warm.

yeast used-bohemian lager and german lager. thanks-cant smell the banana during ferment-only a 14 hour lag so thats good-thanks

again.......I may have pitched the yeast into the starter too warm but I imagine that it cooled off pretty quick.....it was cool to the touch and put into a 50 degree temp controlled fridge on a stir plate. Could the plate heat up the starter that much above ambient-----I have no way to measure actual starter temps

Speaking of aroma, I opened up my cool brewing fermentation cooler to change the ice bottles out for my lager and zipped it back up. About 2 minutes later my girlfriend walks by and goes "OMG did you just fart?" I just about died laughing! Gotta love that sulfer!

Ok.....for all those prone to worrying......this beer was great. Scored a 39.5 at drunk monk.

Back