How do you fertilize hops in pots/buckets?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

punk_rockin2001

Reaction score
I have been watering every other day, and my plants are doing really well. About once a month (so, 3 times now) I scratch up about 2 inches of dirt on top, and mix in a handful of 12-12-12 fertilizer, and continue watering. Is there a better way to do this?

I'd really like to steer clear of miracle-grow.

That seem to be the way to go: working it in to the top of the soil. You may find, however, that different ferts (with different nutrient ratios) at different times will result in more optimal outcomes. Generally speaking, higher nitrogen earlier in the growth cycle when things are heading upwards (fish and kelp emulsion is a good choice) and then switching to higher potassium and, to a lesser degree, phosphorous, when burrs start to form. Look for ferts that have a handful of micro-nutrients as well. You do seem to get what you pay for when it comes to ferts, IMO.

I found some Dr. Earth bud and bloom formula lately for my potted hops that they seem to like now that flowers are starting to set, and it wasn't too spendy.

Compost teas are also loved by plants and that provides another method to add nutrients. Try the search function--there's a lot of info out there.

+1 on compost tea. Cheap and easy to make and your plants will love it. Has many benefits including nutrition and has probiotic properties to prevent damaging fungus and bacteria from taking hold of your plants. Or you probably want to use 5-1-1 or 5-2-1 fertilizer instead of 12-12-12 at this point and when you start seeing side arms approaching terminal length switch to MoreBloom or similiar product. For the compost, what I do is take a quart of homemade compost (you can buy it at HD if you don't compost already) and mix it with a quart of worm castings (Amazon) in 5 gallons of water. I add in fish and kelp emulsion and a little molasses to promote bacteria and fungi growth. Plop in a fish tank aerator and let it oxygenate the probiotic bacteria and fungi in the tea for 24 hours or so. If you keep the compost in a strainer bag or filter the tea, you can put it in a sprayer and spray it all over the leaves. This delivers Nitrogen and other fertilizing agents directly to the leaves and benefits the plant quickly. It also prevents fungus and the like because your "good" fungus and bacteria will likely dominate anything bad trying to take ahold of your plant. Water the plant as normal to get a later dose of fertilizer into the plant through the roots. Repeat as needed and wait for the big cones to start forming!!

What a loaded question.
I have found the fertilizer question is similar to "what should I wear today?" you need clothes but, it's really personal taste what you pic.
The fish emulsion is great. I use it myself and really have seen great results. Also, I use the tea mix method it that too does wonders. Both are easy applied and takes minutes. Low work, big reward.
Which brand? Everybody has a favorite team. I prefer the lower level, more frequent types as to avoid the burn and shock. IMO.... The easier the better, cause I'm lazy.
The micro nutes are the secret key. Any fertilizer helps.... in moderation. Go easy and you'll learn to notice what the girls need and at what time.

image-1597007160.jpg

ok i gotta be the wise a$$. the answer is with fertilizer. :p sorry had 2. dont grow in pots so im not much help here couldnt resist a lil jab

use a 4 4 4 npk (nitrogen phosphorus, potassium fertilizer when you do it with a tea, also bat guano and coffee grounds work wonderfully well

Latest posts

Back