FOAM burst at the beginning...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have replaced EVERYTHING I can think of in my kegerator kit, but I still get a shot of foam when I start a pour. If I let it go into a cup, then put a new one under it, I get a perfect pour. However, if I just try to pour it into one cup, the whole cup is filled with foam. I have the PSI and temp set at the recommend settings (between 8 and 10 and 38 degrees). Any ideas?

I get this too. Currently I just don't care about it really, wait half a minute before drinking. I've been meaning to try and fasten my beer lines to the freezer walls somehow to keep them cool. Also have read a small fan to circulate air will work, but that seems more complicated.

Agreed - I'll bet the lines close to the faucet are not chilled enough and therefore are foamier. My first beer is always like this, but not enough to the point where it bothers me. My second beer is a perfect pour. Depending on your set up, a lot of people will use a fan to direct air up into the tower to keep the lines cool. Many times they'll wire it to run when the compressor runs. Do a search on it, you should fine many examples.

I have a tower that is insulated. I guess that could be the problem, however, my dad has pretty much an identical setup (except more of his beer line is exposed actually) and he doesn't have this problem, so thought I would see if there was something I was missing that the experts may know about.

I have replaced EVERYTHING I can think of in my kegerator kit, but I still get a shot of foam when I start a pour. If I let it go into a cup, then put a new one under it, I get a perfect pour. However, if I just try to pour it into one cup, the whole cup is filled with foam. I have the PSI and temp set at the recommend settings (between 8 and 10 and 38 degrees). Any ideas?

Psi and temp seem about right. How many feet of line and what size of line are you running.

When I first converted my fridge I bought some cheap thin wall beer line and it caused me a lot of foam issues. I would get a whole glass of foam and second and others would be 1/2 foam. I went through a bunch of stuff psi temp line length. I finally got it all ironed out with 10' of 3/6" (real beer line from LHBS) fridge is at 36- 38 degrees. My first pour usually comes out a little more foamy due to tap on outside warms the first part of beer in the line. Second one is always perfect.

It could be that his temperatures in the fridge are lower than yours or keeping the beer cool throughout the line itself more efficiently.

If you need me to I would gladly come up and sample some of these so called foamy beers :D

I am using a 4 foot line that is 3/16" that I bought from beveragefactory.com I am on keg #3 and cannot figure it out. Welcome to come up and sample all you want, as long as you can get it working correct.

I should warn you Brum, right now it is just **** beer (ie Bud Light and Miller Lite)... Once summer is over and I don't need a beer I can sit at the pool and drink for 12 hours straight on a Saturday, then there will be good beer put in here :)

I am using a 4 foot line that is 3/16" that I bought from beveragefactory.com I am on keg #3 and cannot figure it out. Welcome to come up and sample all you want, as long as you can get it working correct.

4ft of line I way to short. Start with 12 feet and see how it works. If its to slow cut 6" and try again. Repeat until you get desired results.

Hi guys, I too am experiencing this problem and was wondering what you guys do with those 6-10ft beer out lines inside the kegerator? Do you just wrap your corny? And what's the length for your beer line to be "balanced." Thanks and good luck to the OP

i have coils the size of the corny that i place of top of each keg. i have 36' of beer line (12' each - 3 kegs) inside a tiny danby 1/2 barrel kegerator.

I had the same issue. I added some insulation to my collar and installed an air circulator fan. This and coiling the bev line fixed it for me

Same issue for me. Started with a tower kit from Kegconnection.com that came with 5' of line. Did all the calculations, adjusted temp and pressure and always got half a pint of foam. Ordered 12' of line for each of my 4 taps and even with no cooling of my towers I get only 1/2" - 1" of foam on the first pour. I usually keep my kegs at 10 psi with a 35F temp controller setting (45F beer temp out of the tap). Pours take about ~10-15 seconds per pint and I coil my lines and lay it on top of my kegs. Hope that helps.

Back