Vienna Lager diacetyl rest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmat123

Reaction score
We brewed up a 10 gallon batch of Vienna lager on 3/6/10. It has been sitting in my fermentation chamber since brew day at 50 degrees. I'm planning on pulling it out of the fermentation chamber on Sat for a diacetyl rest. Looking on Wyeast's site they recommend a 24 hour rest at 58 degrees. I was planning on keeping it at rooms temp (in my house 62-68 degrees F) for two days then transferring it to a corny to lager in my keezer for 30 days. Anyone see any problem with this?

http://brew.dkershner.com/2010/ppm-vienna-lager-2/

I think it would be better for you to adjust your ferment chamber to slowly ramp to 58 over Wed-Thurs-Fri and let it sit from Fri to Sat at 58. Then pull it out and stick it in the Keezer.

I also thought you were fermenting at 55F...but maybe I was mistaken. In any case, starting it early is better than ramping up too high, especially since in that ferment closet of yours it's probably hotter than your thermostat temp.

I think it would be better for you to adjust your ferment chamber to slowly ramp to 58 over Wed-Thurs-Fri and let it sit from Fri to Sat at 58. Then pull it out and stick it in the Keezer.

I respectfully disagree with this. I don't know of any reason to slowly ramp up temps for D-rests. Slowly ramp down, yes there is a reason to do that, but ramping up one can do as fast as conditions allow.

D-rest temps don't have to be exact. You want to be around 10°F higher than your primary fermentation temp. 60-65°F for a D-rest is normal. It's best to do this as fermentation is winding down, but before it is over... around 80% complete is the accepted window.

Back