Harpoon UFO Clone, your input?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bartman

Reaction score
Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.50 lb Wheat Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 68.75 %
1.00 lb Lager Malt (2.0 SRM) Grain 12.50 % 45min steep
1.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 12.50 % 45 min steep
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 6.25 % 45 min steep
1.00 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (60 min) Hops 17.4 IBU
0.75 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (3 min) Hops 1.6 IBU
1 Pkgs Safbrew WB-06 Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.051 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.70 %
Bitterness: 19.0 IBU
Est Color: 7.3 SRM
----------------------
I found this recipe on line and it looks real doable. Anything you experts would change? I am heading to the LHBS tomorrow to pick up supplies. If they do not have dry wheat extract, which liquid would you substitute? It matches up well to Harpoon's specs on their website.
Thanks,
Bart

If I remember right, UFO is a little on the sweeter side of the spectrum. You may want to bring your total IBUs down to about 11.
Also your devision of fermentables on a hefeweizen should be around 60-40 wheat-2row.
Also get rid of the vienna, by bringing your IBUs down you will make up for the sweetness that the vienna will add.

If I remember right wheat malt extract is in the range of 60-40 wheat/barley. You could potentially just make this an all extract without steeping at all. Just up your extract to like 7#

OK
I rechecked Harpoons site and the IBU is 19. The hops I bought had a 3.8 alpha rather than the 4.8 listed so I upped the bittering to 1.25oz and left in the rest of the grain bill to get a net IBU of 18.2. Also the dry wheat malt was Muntons and was listed as 55% wheat and 45% 2 row. And as you noted it will be a little on the sweet side and that is what I was looking for.
Thanks

Back