Bottle Filler Wand making Bubbles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerded

Reaction score
So, this is not my first batch of beer, but my first batch in over 10 years. Somehow, I was able to make beer when I was 19 (live in Canada), but now (over 30) for some reason I'm having troubles.

After transferring from my primary to my secondary, my siphon stopped about 8 times. While transferring back from the secondary to prepare for priming, I had the same issue. I was transferring using the bottle filler wand. I was just about ready to quit and dump my batch out. It was the 4th time the siphon stopped, and I pulled off the wand, sucked the end of the tube (I know, bad idea) and started the siphon.

As you might guess, the siphon continued along just fine until the end. So now I know my bottle filler is introducing bubbles into the siphon hose. My question is, how do I prevent this so that I can use this %#$* wand to fill my bottles.

You only need the wand for filling bottles - it's not advisable to use it during regular siphoning because it'll stop or get clogged with trub, as you found out.

Assuming you are using the regular Fermtech gravity wand, it works perfectly when connected to the spigot of a bottling bucket with 5/16" tubing. 3/8" will work as well, but you should secure it with zip ties to make sure no air gets into the hose.

I usually fill my bottling wand up as full as possible with tap water before attaching it to the bottling bucket. Then, I let out the water and let the tube fill with beer and start bottling!

Every now and again, a small bubble gets into the wand, but it gets shot out while filling the next bottle.

Back