MD Spring brew day!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claphamsa

Professional Jezter PWNZR
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
WE will meet in March, and brew beer!

The suggestion was heffewiezen (yech) but I can just put decent yeast in it and get a wit so whatever.

Any weekends suggested?

locations?

I'd say 98EXL or my place - we have the garage -- unless anyone else has a garage and wants to host.

I am cool with a hefe, wit, or just about anything light and summer-esque.

An interesting idea from probably close to a year or more ago - what about a "low cost" project? Try to see who can come up with a great ultra-cheap beer recipe that still tastes good, for the lowest cost. Everyone brews their own recipe that day. Then in Summer Brew Day we sample/rate/critique, and otherwise vote for our own beer to win. Prizes optional. :)

What about just a regular old Pale. We should also do something really big that will age and be ready for next winter.

hmmmm he has over 100 lbs of honey and probably over 50 bottles already..... so do you ever work nights? And happen to have one of those fake rocks with a house key in it outside?

This coming from a guy that right near your house I saw more mexicans than when I was IN mexico.

Sorry, I just saw illegals and janitors.... didnt stop to ask what 3rd world they were from

was that wrong for me to say?

Getting away from all the oh-too-PC-talk here... how about an old ale or wee heavy for winter 2009? I'm also interested in a pale ale, bock, or pilsner. Having said that alt or kolsch also could work, trippel, belgian pale ale, biere de garde?

getting thirsty here

I vote something big. Triple, wee heavy, barleywine..... stolen mead??? sorry had to get get back off topic.

Problem with a barleywine or any other high gravity brew is that we won't have enough space in the MLTs. Unless we're all ok with getting 2.5 gallons each.

not so! Barley wines arent that much worse than the dead guy! The worst that happens, is we have to split a batch into two (like we did this time)

For example Brewsmith posted one, 3 Gallons, with about 13 pounds grain... so make that a 10 and you get... 40 lbs? we can do that :)

No panties in a wad - I was just saying that we're out for brewing. We'll gladly come hang out, but it's a style that neither of us are really interested in. If you guys want to do it, I'm all for hanging out and watching and enjoying beer without having to do any work this time.

In fact, I think that's my preference :)

Im not really too picky but I would prefer it be something big for next winter. Anything other than a RIS

How about a big ol' 8.5% saison, or a 8% Weizenbock? Big ol' beers for the early fall.

Wiezenbock sounds cool. We make a DoppelAlt (since we couldn't lager the bock at the time) that was pretty cool.

Personally, I don't care much except that I don't have much of an interest in anything heavier than like a doppelbock. I'm not into doubles/tripels/barelywines/etc right now.

Again, I actually LIKE the idea of sitting around chilling out and drinking instead of running around like crazy.

One thing we need to be better about is to have a recipe sorted out waaay before the brewday and have the final numbers of batches a week beforehand so we can buy grain in bulk.

I had to buy 2 x 10 lb bags of 2 row @ $17 each, rather than getting 55lbs of 2 row for $43. $1.70 per lb compared to $0.78 per lb. This will cut our costs down big time.

I didn't get the 55 lb bag as I have no use for base grains - extract brewer and proud of it! :)

Hey - one final thing.

I'm going to buy a few pounds of hops from hopunion. Does anyone want 1/2 lb of magnum, Czech saaz or German Hellertau? The min. you can buy is 1 lb; the hops come to about $1.40 to $1.70 per ounce before shipping.

Let me know!

Back