Got Cones?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CodeRage

Death by Magumba!
Reaction score
Any one else getting hop cones?

My cascade is the only thing that is growning well. My goldings were doing okay but some aphids found them and I had to cut them back. That and only one of my centenials survived and it is a SLOW grower. Any ways both of my Cascades have cones.

Cascade2.jpg

Cascade1.jpg

No cones, but I have some hallatuaer that look like they are about to. My Golding did very poorly, but they are still alive. My hallatauer are about 10 feet tall, golding, about 3 inches.

My Chinooks are going nuts and have some cones that are twice the width of my thumb! The only others that have made it to full cones are the jumbo Cascades but they are going to produce MUCH more for first year plants than I ever would've expected.

Any one else getting hop cones?

My cascade is the only thing that is growning well. My goldings were doing okay but some aphids found them and I had to cut them back. That and only one of my centenials survived and it is a SLOW grower. Any ways both of my Cascades have cones.

Cascade2.jpg

Cascade1.jpg

I love your neighbors garage door

i wish, mine are so slow. 2 are about 1 ft with multiple vines, 1 has a 1 ft weak vine, 2 are barely above the surface and my fuggle is about 8" long but the growth tip just dried up. grrrrr...oh and 1 nugget and 1 centennial died with a vine and the goldings never sprouted.

I'm not seeing any yet, but the heat has just arrived this week. Most of the cones will be on the sidearms and those should start growing in the next couple weeks.

My first year fuggles are barely past the 2' mark on one bine. The others might be tall enough to be trained in a few more days. This cool weather hasn't helped.

yeah. just my cascades though. Mt. Hood and Sterling are slow and Willamette is just starting.

Hopgarden2008_038.jpg

I've actually cut some and dried them too. took about 1.5 - 2 days in the attic on a screen. not enough to use. they sure don't look like much after they've dried and been put in the handivac.

You can pick them early for fun but the lupilin will not be at its highest until harvest time. You can tell when the cones start to feel papery and also tear a test one apart and if the lupilin glands are full and round instead of pancake like then they are ready (but hard to see the little yellow glands I hear)

This is from research not personal experience yet, though I hope to get a harvest off my williamette at least.

Grats to all you with cones already!

My 3 year old Hallerteu hops are loaded and the cones are big. I tore one apart, not ready yet. Completely oderless. Maybe a week or so.

how does that attic work for drying? I havent thought of that.. but i happen to have a window screen in my attic now..

I have crazy hops growing on my 2nd year fuggles. I'm pumped. Unfortunately all my first years are coneless, but they're growing great which is the important thing.

the beasties are growing like champs. I got my rhizomes into their planters on memorial day and they have been going nuts since then. I ran string lines up the house to get some shade later in the summer. Nearly all the plants (four) have two bines that have reached the roof now. The buds are showing and I think I'll start to see some serious development in the next two or three weeks. Unreal. If these are what they look like in the first year, I'm thinking the growth next year is going to be absurd! Yeah hops!
:rockin:

My attic worked great last year for the small yield I did have on my plants.

Mine too-Several screens layed across the overhead rafters (open space-no ceiling) in the garage attic.

I pull the screens down, hose them off, single layer the hops and they are dry and ready to "package" in 4-6 days.

I've got the same type of scraggly looking "pre-cones" on my Galena and Mt Hood. Nothing yet on the others.

Galena will be the first to reach the top of my 15 ft trellis system in the next couple of days, with the Mt. Hood and Goldings not far behind. Way more than I expected from 1st year rhizomes!

No cones.... in 6 varieties!!! Half of them are to the top are right next to the top. I account for the lack of cones from lack of sunlight. I need to chop trees down to get more sun on them.

IMG_6580.JPG

Picture was taken on 6-10-09

Back row ( L -> R)
Sunbeam (2nd year), Crystal (2nd year), Mt Hood (1st and 2nd)

Front row ( L -> R)
Perel (1st Year), Sterling (1st and 2nd), Tettnanger (2nd Year)

Here come the burrs! And a big Chinook leaf for good measure.

77beb330.jpg
c00bb160.jpg

Mine are just the little buds coming out of the side arms. I have 50+ little buds that I can see and it's a first year plant! Barring any trauma I hop to get some fresh hops this year to use. Just in time for semester break, hopefully, in August when I am going to brew up some beers!

None for me yet. My 1 growing 2nd year plant has reached the top of it's trellis and I've not had a chance to heighten it. I suspect it will probably die or not do much of anything. Just not been a priority this year unfortunately.

Yup. 1st year Cascade planted 3/31. I'm stoked because I was told they wouldn't get this far. We'll see what happens as it gets hotter.

1st year Cascade.jpg

Ive got 2 vines of Cascade close to 18' a piece. Ive just started to get the small fuzzy beginnings of cones within the last few days.

Back