olympic fever...anyone caught it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgravier

Reaction score
i know i have...even though it just started its allready awesome! ive been following the us womens hockey team totally dominate. (the NHL just played there last game last night before the break) cant wait to see the chek team (jager, etc...) That drunk guy Bodie miller sucked last night, and 'The flying tomatoe' steve white won a gold in snowboarding (duh...we invented it).

The opening cermonies was hilarious! you couldnt be more Italian than that...straight out of a puccini opera or something, i was waiting for a Castrato to start singing...Is the word 'Guady' in thier vocabualry?...thats what i love about the olympics though, especially in europe, they are so nationalistic, its great to see how un-french, or un-english, or un-german the Italians are.

for some reason, I never seem to be able to really get into the winter olympics. I'll watch a lot of the summer games, but hardly any of the winter games.

-walker

I don't know if it's just me, but my impression is that the winter olympics have really dropped in popularity in recent years in the U.S. I remember when I was younger that every 4 years the Olympics would come around and it was very exciting. Everyone would crowd around the TV to watch Americans get slaughtered in sports none of use ever cared about for the 4 years prior. We would all get upset watching the French or Japanese or Russians beat up on us. The occasional U.S. gold medal winner (usually a figure skater or speed skater) would be a huge national hero.

It's funny that now we seem to be better at winter sports, but hardly anyone seems to care.

Curling boys, that's where its at. Have you seen the hotties on the Us women's team?

I curled when I lived back in WI, so I'm partial to it. I love it. Highlight of the winter games for me.

Also love biathlon, ski jumping, and bobsled/luge/skeleton.

Of course that was back in the days with no ESPN or ESPN classic or FOX sports. Just too many choices now adays. Ski jumping, I can see the "agony of defeat" line from Wide World of Sports....

loop

loopmd said:
Ski jumping, I can see the "agony of defeat" line from Wide World of Sports....
loop

Was that actually ski jumping, or just a down-hill race? I don't remember the lead up to the massive crash, just the crash itself.

-walker

They sure are pushing the athlete profiles this year. I'm sick of hearing about Michelle Kwan and the Flying Tomato. Just go back to the real footage damnit!

Dude said:
Curling boys, that's where its at. Have you seen the hotties on the Us women's team?

oh yea! watched them this morning......sisters too!

i dig the winter olympics. hockey, downhill, luge, speed skating...pretty awesome stuff. how cool is it that a guy from Spring, TX (10-20 miles north of Houston)won the 1st gold in speed skating! only ice we see is in the freezer or our tea! :cool:

we're glued to the tube every night during both olympics....

I'm immensely excited by the winter games. I definitely watch more of these games than the summer games.

The thing I hate is seeing the NHL shut down for 2+ weeks, leaving a highly motivated NYR team ready for a letdown, or burnout by NHLers by playing so many games in so short a time. USA (mens) hockey shouldn't expect to even sniff metal though...it's all Czech or Sweden. The women are golden.

The skeleton rocks, as does the now (seemingly wimpier) luge.

Are there really hotties on the curling team or am I being set up to watch Ellen?

nope, they're chickies! i sure got more interesting in curling today!!!

Men's Hockeyis weak this Olympics. a good mix of vet's and newb's. gotto love Chelios being the captain @ 44 yrs old though! that guy kicks butt.....

Im a huge fan of the olympics, though i dont really care about the sports during non-olympic years. I love watching bobsledding, curling, downhill skiing and pretty much anything else thats on. Its just fun to watch a lot of sports you rarely get to see. Also it kills some time in between football and baseball.:D

Michael_Schaap said:
Dude....what is curling?
It's kind of like bowling, only the bowling ball isn't round on the bottom, and you do it on ice, and you get to use a stick and brooms, and apparently the chicks are hot.

yea, there's a big bull's eye target on the end of the "lane" that you try park your stones in, and you opponent can knock them out w/ some defensive moves. kinda like shuffelboard, on ice........ with hot chicks! :~)

Caught curling tonight. Poor outing for the US vs. Japan (at least what I saw). But let me tell you: the johnson sisters are ha-ha-ha-hot!

http://www.curlgirls.com

HELL NO! this must be the worst olympics I have ever seen. People whinning about getting caught, cheating, cutting corners, drugs, pulled groins. How the hell does an ice skater pull a groin? What a bunch of Pussi*s these US athlete are. And what the hell is womans Hockey?

Denny's Brew said:
Uh, Womens kockey is the sport where Canadian women beet the crap out of everyone else.

:D

The US women's team beat Switzerland 16-0, didn't they? That's embarrassing, Switzerland! Shape up!

I miss playing hockey. No ice here, damn it.

dancingbarefoot said:

The US women's team beat Switzerland 16-0, didn't they? That's embarrassing, Switzerland! Shape up!

I miss playing hockey. No ice here, damn it.

Uh....you have the Galleria..........Oh and 1 hr east of you is Ford park, by Beaumont. We can skate there too. We have a semi pro hockey team there.

dancingbarefoot said:

Yeah, the score for the Canadian team have been for the most part in the double digits.

I guess we'll just have to wait for the inevitable Canada vs USA match. Of course we'll just win the gold again. :D

Beermaker said:
Uh....you have the Galleria..........Oh and 1 hr east of you is Ford park, by Beaumont. We can skate there too. We have a semi pro hockey team there.

I've never seen anyone playing hockey at the Galleria. Do they ever open it up for hockey? Usually just little kids learning figure skating when I've been there.

I meant outside ice, though. I know there are indoor ice arenas here. I should join a club if there's a women's one around here (although, an hour is a bit far for me). It's just not the same playing indoors, even though the ice is smoother indoors. :)

Denny's Brew said:
I guess we'll just have to wait for the inevitable Canada vs USA match. Of course we'll just win the gold again. :D

Yeah, you probably will. But it'll be a fun match! :)

dancingbarefoot said:
I've never seen anyone playing hockey at the Galleria. Do they ever open it up for hockey? Usually just little kids learning figure skating when I've been there.

I meant outside ice, though. I know there are indoor ice arenas here. I should join a club if there's a women's one around here (although, an hour is a bit far for me). It's just not the same playing indoors, even though the ice is smoother indoors. :)

they have the Aerodrome in Sugar Land and another one somewhere else. it's where the Aero's practice and have team HQ. pretty cool place. they have the Texas Ice Stadium too right off I-45 in Clear Lake. they have hockey leagues in all three rinks. a guy i worked with, his kids both played. pretty cool....i'm a huge hockey fan.

US Women's team had a pretty cool end to end goal yesterday. their captain is pretty tuff.....

http://www.aerodromes.com/

C_3_news_ita_160414_paragraphs_paragrafo0_image.jpg

kari traa

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......................

you can do a google search for some more seedy pics ;)

No, I haven't watched one minute. Sorry, but I really lost interest in the Olympics when it went all-pro. Plus, the annoying 'up close and personal' crap about every facet of this person's life. In three hours you'll see 45 minutes of commercials, 100 minutes of fluff pieces and maybe 40 minutes of actual competition.

And curling? - is that really considered a sport? What's next, snow shoveling?!;) Actually, now that I think about it, I'd probably tune into watch a couple minutes of competitive snow shoveling! It would be kinda like competitive woodchopping.

Dude said:

I curled when I lived back in WI, so I'm partial to it. I love it. Highlight of the winter games for me.

That's because it's a sport inside a refridgerator so your beer stays cold. At least that's why real canadians play it. Hockey's too much like work.

USA better get it together. Latvia keeps having odd man rushes one right after the other, and they're down 3-2!!!!!!

Cheyco said:
How do you know so much about hockey? Are you getting the broadcast with the aura around the puck, or what? ;)

i love the game!:D i'm a southern freak of nature that understands and get's the game. used to play in-line hockey all the time in houston, dallas, and here. fun stuff.

team USA looked pretty good for having dead legs. after Kaz tomorrow they have a tough road to travel.......exciting game today though!:cool:

DeRoux's Broux said:
i love the game!:D i'm a southern freak of nature that understands and get's the game. used to play in-line hockey all the time in houston, dallas, and here. fun stuff.

team USA looked pretty good for having dead legs. after Kaz tomorrow they have a tough road to travel.......exciting game today though!:cool:

How do you fit those huge 10 gallon cowboy hats in the helmets?? :eek:

(Suddenly spaceballs comes to mind. Actually one of the anouncers the other day during a Canucks game mentioned that goalie masks were getting bigger and bigger and the league was cracking down, he made a joke regarding goalies and spaceballs.)

Denny's Brew said:
(Actually one of the anouncers the other day during a Canucks game mentioned that goalie masks were getting bigger and bigger

I thought that was to accommodate the mullets? (What IS it with hockey players and mullets? Blech!)

Denny's Brew said:
How do you fit those huge 10 gallon cowboy hats in the helmets?? :eek:

(Suddenly spaceballs comes to mind. Actually one of the anouncers the other day during a Canucks game mentioned that goalie masks were getting bigger and bigger and the league was cracking down, he made a joke regarding goalies and spaceballs.)

well, we have NIOSH approved hard hats shaped like cowboy hats! tuff as an ITECH cage!

those willey net minders are always looking for an egde, eh? they cut down their pillows, then shrink the bread basket! what's next? the goal will be expanded to 10x20!:eek:

Back