Hopped & Confusedv2 Light Hybrid Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unionrdr

Homebrewer, author & air gun collector
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
WL029
Yeast Starter
optional
Batch Size (Gallons)
5G,19L
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
Approx 90 minutes
IBU
n/a
Color
n/a
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
67 @ 65-69F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
none
Additional Fermentation
Bottle carb
Tasting Notes
Took a while to get down to FG. Tastes a lot like Heineken if not skunked.
**I brewed this on Fat Tuesday,2/8/13. I passed out during the boil,winding up with about a 90 minute boil that gave an amber blush to it & the heni-like sort of flavor. My notes are a little weird on this one,so I'll reconstruct it as best I can. Def a happy accident some may like.**
INGREDIENTS-
2lbs 2-row (Rahr)
2lbs Marris Otter (Crisp)
1/2lb Crystal 20L
1/2lb Carapils
4lb Munton's plain Extra Light DME
.5oz NZ pacific gem pellet hops,60 minutes
1oz Haulertauer Mittelfruh pellet hops,15 minutes
1oz Czech saaz pellet hops, 0 minutes covered for 10 minutes
White Labs WL029 German ale/kolsh yeast In 800mL starter/.5lb plain light DME* You'll likely wanna use less DME than I did,took too long to finish.*

Mash crushed grains in 2 gallons spring water. * For some reason,I mashed this at 161F. You'll probably want to cut this to 153F.* Mash 1 hour to 90 minutes.

Sparge with 1.5 gallons spring water. * I overheated the sparge water this time,& it cooled off too much to 150F. Only had one thermometer atm.* So sparge water should be no more than 170F.
Get past foamy hot break,kept temp down to 8.8 on the dial for a smooth,evenly rolling boil,but not hard boil. Add half ounce pacific gem bittering addition & start 1 hour timer. * I passed out from too much beer & most of a fifth of vodka at this point. When I awoke,it was 5:20 PM,so that's about a 90 minute boil,1 hour 25 minutes minimum. Boil resumes at this time.* Add 1oz German haulertauer mittelfruh hops last 15 minutes of boil.
At flame out,stir in the 4lbs of extra light DME,then add 1oz Czech saaz hops cover & steep 10 minutes. **You could even do this addition @ 3 minutes left in the boil,then allow to steep. Chill wort down to about 75F. Strain into fermenter,then top off with COLD spring water to 5 gallons (19L). Stir roughly for 5 minutes to mix wort & top off water well. Should be about 65F at this point. Take hydrometer sample.
Seal,atatch airlock & fill to line with cheap vodka. Maintain ferment temps between 65-69F for the WL029 yeast,as this is it's ideal range. * For some reason,it took 67 days to get down to FG. YRMV.
Primed as for American Light Lager/Pilsner @ 2.4 volumes co2 with 4.2 ounces dextrose dissolved in 2C of boiled water,covered,& allowed to cool. Got 48 bottles that carbed & conditioned for 5 weeks at 70 or better before placing 12 bottles in fridge for 1 week. **ADDITIONAL NOTES-I'm starting to think that the longer boil also helped with clarity quite a bit over version 1's 60 minute boil. Def cleared back up sooner in the fridge. Not to mention the color & flavor mentioned. I'm going to brew this one again,but mash @ 153F. Sparge at 170F rather than 150F from the oopsie. But who knows if any or all of these gave the flavor? I know it gave the amber blush to it that version 1 didn't have with it's 1 hour boil.

Back