Brambling Cross Rhizomes Wanted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

argyle

Reaction score
Has anyone found a source for brambling cross rhizomes? If you currently grow them, will you share? A small fee and cost of shipping is understood.

Thanks

Ha! Not sure how to get these from USDA. I read a couple post about people who object to others getting rhizomes from the usda.

I've been trying to find a Bramling Cross rhizome for years.

It's even getting hard to find the hops... many vendors are still selling the 2010 crop!

Yeah, I read some cranky posts about the USDA thing. I say if that's the only way to lay hands on this strain, do what ya have to do.

As for availability, after reading that totally sobering listing I'm not surprised. Seems like that strain has a fundamental genetic issue with simply surviving...

Cheers!

I asked the USDA for some native hop varieties from Colorado and they never responded to me. I don't know of any commercial sources for native North American hop varieties. Is the USDA sending anybody rhizomes?

I would say good luck with getting them to give you Brambling Cross. You might have luck trying to buy it from England if it is a popular variety.

Trying to get new mexico seeds to cross with brewers gold and cascade, but no luck.

Without permit is bad. Plus u might bring over a pest that will damage our AG system.

Without permit is bad.Plus u might bring over a pest that will damage our AG system.

Guess that's a little short sightedness on my part. Good Point! and Point Taken!

Without permit is bad. Plus u might bring over a pest that will damage our AG system.

I wonder if there is a grower in the states that has it going though; importing from UK will mean $90 permit & roughly a $100 shipping charge for a few rhizomes; I guess if someone were looking to expand their commercial crops and determined it's a profitable/desirable strain, then ok; but for the average homebrewer? probably not a financially viable move considering you can get it for a few dollars and ounce from sellers who regularly import hops.

would be cool if it was found somewhere in the states though.

Well I've used Google to search the sites of a number of USA hop growers associations from coast to coast and not one of them hit on "Bramling Cross" (<= the correct name, fwiw).

Again, looking at that hop survey report, if I was a grower it'd be hard to put any acreage in a strain that seems to have so much going against it...

Cheers!

See if a homebrew club wants to chip in.... Never know. If you want to grow a certain rhizome, you may not be the only one.

Just order through USDA GRIN! It's quick, easy, and free. I got tons of genetic material for my breeding program including Rakau, Sorachi Ace, Brewers Gold, varieties that I couldn't buy in stores. Also lots of males and wild cultivars. Sometimes they will send you packets for tissue culturing instead of rhizomes.

Works fine for me. Very easy website IMO, simple.

I just got some grape cuttings for my vineyard that I ordered last month. They ship when they harvest

B-Hoppy said:
Those grapes must have been harvested for an Ice Wine, eh?

Davis, CA. Grapes are trimmed in January once the leaves fall and the cuttings discarded/kept for planting in spring. I don't know why haha but that's what all viticultutalists say

My bad. They ship when the 'cuttings' are harvested, ok. My view of the world is somewhat distorted at times. Carry on~

Just order through USDA GRIN! It's quick, easy, and free. I got tons of genetic material for my breeding program including Rakau, Sorachi Ace, Brewers Gold, varieties that I couldn't buy in stores. Also lots of males and wild cultivars. Sometimes they will send you packets for tissue culturing instead of rhizomes.

How long did it take them to send you a response and how long did it take them to send you genetic material?

I asked for some materials about a month ago, but haven't received a reply at all.

Sorry to say this guys but I think this is a lost cause at least for now. Before creating this thread, like many of you, I searched this forum for a a lead on bramling cross rhizomes. Some of the post I found were a couple years old and nobody had reported any luck finding a rhizome supplier on this side of the pond. I can understand why it may not a favorable variety due its susceptibility to various diseases. Perhaps one day we'll get a source and be able to try our hands at growing some of this pleasant hop.

Good luck to all, happy brewing, and keep us posted if a supplier is found.

Back