96% attenuation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PJoyce85

Reaction score
Just transferred a French Farmhouse Ale and used Wyeast 3711. Started at 1.062 and fermented for 2 weeks at 68°.

When I transferred, it was down to 1.002. I use a refractometer and NB's online calculator.

Can this be right?

It's possible, but yeah using a refractometer for FG is going to leave you w/ less than desirable accuracy.

What was the grain bill and mash schedule like?

Double check with a hydrometer, but it is very possible that it is at 1.002.

3711 is a beast and will often finish that low.

Grain bill was:

6.75lbs Vienna
5lbs Munich
10oz Carawheat
5oz Caramunich
5oz Melanoiden

152 for 60 minutes.
This is the recipe that Two Brothers Brewing gave me.

I normally use a hydrometer, but thought I would give the refractometer with NB's calculator a test. When I keg next weekend, I will double check and see if it is right or not.

I got a weird reading with the APA I also transferred today. I think it is the calculator.

Just an update.

Kegged it today and it was at 1.008 so the calculator was way off.

Should be pretty good. I'm not a huge fan of estery yeast strains, but with the grain bill it should be nicely balanced.

Tried 2 new yeast strains this time around (3711 and 1332) and I am impressed with both. ESPECIALLY 1332.

Should be pretty good. I'm not a huge fan of estery yeast strains, but with the grain bill it should be nicely balanced.

Tried 2 new yeast strains this time around (3711 and 1332) and I am impressed with both. ESPECIALLY 1332.

Pitched them both?

Back