Did I add too much water??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulls Beers

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've made about 6 batches of beer. All extract and i seem to forget of just do something wrong most times.It pisses me off..Anyway, Today i'm doing an extract batch and it calls for 2 gallons of water in the brew pot and 3 1/2 in the bucket..I was thinking and added 4 gallons of water in the bucket making 6 gallons of wort.
Other than it being watery, what should i do. Anything??

this is just me but I do only extract and sometimes with steeping grains but when a recipe tells me to add 2 gallons I still put about 3 1/2 in my brew pot So I can get a larger vigerous boil and all the books I have read also say more water in your brew pot the better. when i transfer my Wort to the primary I have my bucket 1/2 full of ice, but that is just how I do it, if that helps you any..And I also have about 6 gallons So I dont syphon that junk at the bottom when transfering.

weeks. I am getting less concerned about the total volume of water split between my boil and put into the carboy. Last night we ended up with over 5 gallons, but by the time we took the hydrometer sample, it went down a little. The one part of brewing that I do not enjoy :)mad: ) is transferring the wort to the carboy and then having to add water. So this time I just used more water to start and it turned out fine.

Your beer will be just fine. The ABV might be a bit low, but not enought to worry about. You won't even notice. Consider it an experiment for next itme.

i just made my fifth batch and also added more water to the fermenter than I usually do- to about 6 gallons total in order yield 5 after the junk is discarded etc.

From the previous posts it seems this will be fine, but I still have two questions:

1) is this why my OG was 1.040 instead of the target 1.050+ for this recipe?

2) How much will this lower the ABV?

Hey Bulls,

Invest the $20 in Beersmith or promash. Either program will let you print out a brewsheet that you can check off as you perform each step.

I was thinking that next time I brew, I will have a check list..I should probably get one of those programs..Thanks

Back