Fermoire 2.0 (because fermbasecabinet sounds dumb)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lallender11

Reaction score
I wanna first give credit to jas0420 (and his wife) for this idea. I wanted to build a fermentation chamber inside my house, but didnt want it to look like well... a fermentation chamber.

A lot of luck occurred for this project to happen so inexpensively. A buddy donated the window ac unit, and I found these cabinets at a habitat for humanity warehouse, nearly new, but for $80, it look better than anything I could make.

I use 1/2'' foam board insulation, and particle board for the top.

After 2 days, I was able to get my test carboy down to 48 degrees!

Cheers

IMAG0209.jpg

IMAG0210.jpg

IMAG0211.jpg

IMAG0212.jpg

do you have any insulation on the doors? what about some sort of weather stripping to get a better seal?

The name is pretty sick too.

Great Idea and looks great!

How do you have the A/C installed? Is it completely inside the cabinets? If so how do you vent the heat generated by the unit it's self? Any problems with it re-heating the cooled air or the room that it's in?

I ask, because I have a window unit like that and know of a place that I can do a similar design in!

Inspirational!

Quick update: so hopefully from the first photo you can see what my intentions were when placing the cabinets the way I did. I mounted the A/C unit on the side of the longer cabinet and used the smaller one to conceal it from sight. I constructed a small frame to support the top covering and the A/C unit. I also finished insulating and weather-stripping the doors! There is actually a large amount of air flow available having the entire back side open. Visually though, it looks like one large piece.

IMAG0215.jpg

IMAG0216.jpg

IMAG0217.jpg

Back