Another "Am I infected" thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PuppyKicker

Reaction score
Brewed up a batch of NB's bourbon barrel porter. 10 days in primary, and I just racked to secondary yesterday.

Everything looked great in the primary, but today I noticed some "stuff" floating on the top of the secondary that may look like some lacto colonies that I've seen others post.

Perhaps I'm just being paranoid.

20100403134147.jpg

Any thoughts? I tasted a small sample while racking to secondary and it tasted fine to me. I'm a bit worried about my siphoning though, as I definitely wasn't as cautious about being sterile as I should have been. Everything was sanitized in one-step beforehand.

I don't see what the big deal is about infection and people freaking.

let it sit, test the gravity, and if it turns out it was infected you just have a sour beer. (of course, you want to drink a little bit and see if it kills you first.):off:

it looks like yeast clumps to me. if it is an infection there isn't much you can do about it now. RDWHAHB. finish your process and on bottling day give it a sniff and taste test before you bottle. if it smells ok and tastes ok then its probably ok.

Jeebus, that's the biggest carboy I've ever seen! :D Seriously, looks ok to me, just fallen krausen or yeast clumps as mentioned above. If it was lacto, you would know it, the stuff can be pretty rank. Let it sit, age and enjoy

Anyone who kicks puppys should get many infections. pus oozing, burning, itching, infections.

but your beer is fine.

Back