Lagers - Single Infusion or Step Mashing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonvolt

Reaction score
I am getting prepared for my first lager. I just ordered a 50 lb. bag of Pilsen malt, and I am researching recipes, etc.

Reading Papazian's Homebrewers Companion, I notice that all of his lager recipes call for a Protein Developing Step Mash. Is there something about Lager-style malts or Lagers in general that require step mashing? Can you do a lager recipe with a single infusion?

I am not interested in Step Mashing, and I am hoping to do some lagers using the techniques I have been using for my ales.

Papazian's book it a very useful tool, but I think it was originally carved on stone tablets it is so old. Today's malts are much more highly modified and a single infusion mash is all you'll need for just about any brew you make nowadays.

This is what I assumed; however, before jumping into lager beers, I wanted to be sure that my single infusion knowledge would be adequate.

I definitely do not want to get into step mashing . . . seems like too much work and not enough :mug: :drunk: . . .if you know what i mean! :fro:

sonvolt said:
I definitely do not want to get into step mashing . . . seems like too much work and not enough :mug: :drunk: . . .if you know what i mean! :fro:

Are you talking about decoction or simply performing protein rest first? I agree that decoction is a bit more work involved, but doing protein rest is just one water warming cycle and 5-10 minutes more waiting. Noonan in his book dedicated to lagers says that British malts modified more then European once hence more suited for single infusion mash.

AdIn said:
Are you talking about decoction or simply performing protein rest first? I agree that decoction is a bit more work involved, but doing protein rest is just one water warming cycle and 5-10 minutes more waiting. Noonan in his book dedicated to lagers says that British malts modified more then European once hence more suited for single infusion mash.

I guess that I have never really thought about the difference; however, I don't really want to do either. I use a converted cooler as a mash tun, so I don't have heat applied directly to my mash. Any temperature targets I have must be made by adding water and grain together, so it would be tough for me to be able to do this multiple times during the mash and still retaina good water/grain ratio, etc. I am sure it can be done, and I am sure that a lot of guys on here do it.

As for me - simpler is better - it leaves more time for :tank: :mug: :drunk:

Speaking of Noonan, if you're already doing a standard decoction mash and want to feel like your process could still use a little extra complexity, just read his book and take everything to heart! I kind of get into that, so it works for me.

But in reality there's no reason not to do a single-infusion mash for your lager unless you're using under-modified malt. And why would you be using that? (Okay, I bought some, but that's another thread).

Back