Dry Hopping Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett3rThanU

Reaction score
I guess I haven't really thought about it, but what is the proper way to dry hop with pellet hops? I usually just rack from the primary to the secondary on top of the pellets, then let everything sit in the secondary for 2 weeks. Is this too long?

I prefer to add my dry hops after the beer has been in secondary for a few days. Usually it will gas off some CO2 right after racking, and that can scrub out a lot of the hop aroma you're trying to put in. Waiting until it's completely calmed down seems to result in more hop aroma in the final product. Then I leave them in for 7-10 more days and bottle.

I've found that I get the best results/nose out of dry hopping for 7-10 days, then immediately going to keg or bottles.

To take a page out of Vinny's dry hopping regime. For a 10 gallon batch of IIPA I take 9 oz. of pellets, (3 oz. of 3 different varieties) mix them all together. I then add 3 oz. portions every 3 days. After the last hop addittion I wait an addittional 3 days for a total of 12 days. My latest combination has been Columbus, Cennt. and Cascade. I like the combination of citrus and spice. Columbus is now a part of every dry hop for my IPA's.

And I don't secondary at all. I leave everything in the primary. After 14 days I crash cool beer to get yeast out of suspension, then I bring the temp back up over 3 days to 68-70 degreees and then just throw pellets right in. When dry hopping is done I crash cool again and use Gelatin to fine. Then I just get a clean rack right into the keg to carbonate.

Eastside

So I gather it's better not to rack onto hops in the secondary? That would put it at about 14 days dry hopping. I'll try dropping them into the carboy on day 4.

So I gather it's better not to rack onto hops in the secondary? That would put it at about 14 days dry hopping. I'll try dropping them into the carboy on day 4.

the pellets are going to sink right to the bottom anyway. they will break up just like they do in the bottle so just be careful when you siphon. some guys strap on some cheese cloth to filter while transferring.

Back