Competition question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoosier

Reaction score
So I am getting to the point where I would like to start competing so I can get some better feedback than just "Wow man, this is good." My question is if you are a few (2-3) gravity points off is is still considered in style? The reason I ask is because I did a IIPA and my FG is 2 points lower than the style guidelines lay out. I had a 1.008FG (1.079OG) and the guidelines call for 1.010-1.020 FG. Will this be a problem? Keep in mind that I have never even looked at an entry form. Thanks in advance.
-C

I would think that it's all up to the judge. You will need to complete a BJCP entry form for each entry that you submit. Starting and terminal gravity are two of the many things that you are asked to enter on the form.

I wouldn't think that a couple of points would be a big deal, but if you get a judge that's really hardcore they could ding you for it I suppose.

I would think that it's all up to the judge. You will need to complete a BJCP entry form for each entry that you submit. Starting and terminal gravity are two of the many things that you are asked to enter on the form.

I wouldn't think that a couple of points would be a big deal, but if you get a judge that's really hardcore they could ding you for it I suppose.

Not every competition uses that form. I've very rarely seen one that asks for FG, so it shouldn't matter too much.

Also, the judges don't look at that sheet when judging you. It is a blind tasting and you can't be marked off for that unless they perceive it as being too dry.

Really? I've entered three comps last year, including the NHBC and don't recall having to put any gravity readings on the entry form.
:confused:

I just started entering competitions, and thusfar they've all required that the form I linked to above be completed and sent in with the beers. I can't say whether this is a common practice among competitions or not.

IIRC: The judges do not see the score sheets but they can ask question from the competition proctor.

Along the lines of:
"These do not taste like English Hops, can you go look up the hop schedule and tell me the hops the brewer used?"

So a judge could ask for OG and FG.

In that case I wont worry to much. I am more interested in the feedback. Dont get me wrong, a ribbon would be nice though. Thanks again for the responses.
Cheers,
Chris

From the BJCP Judge Procedure Manual:
"It’s never appropriate for the judges to see the entry forms, but the organizer can check them for the judges."

And I think this is only to give information concerning what special ingredients were used for select categories (fruit for example) or to make sure it is not being judged in a category other than what was listed on the form. I do not think it is appropriate for the judges to know anything about the beer (ingredients, OG, FG, IBUs, etc.).

I've only judged one BJCP competition, but all I had was an entry number and the style guide. Absolutely nothing about how the beer was made or what went into it.

Bear in mind that if you are too far off the style, it can hurt you. I was judging Bitters & the 2nd lowest scoring beer of the flight would have been a winner in a Mild category.

Enter it as you brewed it. The judges don't see the forms until after the comp is judged if at all.
They judge on what is seen, tasted and smelled. that little difference should not be noticed unless you have other faults that could magnify the difference.

Good luck entering in competitions! They are the best way to get great feedback from skilled judges to hone your skills as a brewer. I won a white ribbon (3rd place) in the first competition i entered!!

Back