Recipe check

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hpr89

Reaction score
American IPA
5.5 gallon

12# American 2-row
1# c-30
1# Vienna
.75 chinook :60
.5 chinook :30
1 Amarillo :15
1 citra :5
.5 Amarillo f.o.
.5 citra f.o.
.5 Amarillo dry 7 days
.5 citra dry 7 days

53 ibu

Yeast- wlp060 American ale

Og1064
Fg 1015
6.3 abv

Mash at 153 for 60

How does it look folks?

Input appreciated!

I usually limit the Crystal in my ipa's to a half pound or less. That being said, I don't think a pound is too much, just less than I would use.

I like the pound of Vienna. I usually do either some Vienna or Munich, and a pound seems like the right amount to me.

More late or dry hops wouldn't hurt at all. I'm a big fan of late Chinook hops, too, but I know not everyone is. Other than that, I don't feel quite experienced enough in hops varieties to recommend any thing else. Hope that helps you though!

I would move the Chinook at 30 minutes to 20 or 15 minutes or first wort hopping. I think that it would give you more flavor. Otherwise, looks good.

Thanks for the advice! How about moving the .5 chinook at :30 to .75 at :15. Same ibu. Might up the flame out hops a bit too. Thanks!

Certainly will. Honestly it was inspired by Elysian "space dust IPA" the hops were any way. If you can get it, I highly suggest front loading the palate. I should brew in 2 weekends. Work is crazy! I will update!

Just tasted after bottling. Sad news. It was all good but I've got a clorophenol issue. Adding a filter to the set up.

Just add to strike/ sparse water? I'm planning on using both methods. Thanks!

I add them to all the water I use, including the water for the starter

Will someone critique this Amber Ale Recipe, please?

1/4 lb chocolate malt
1/2 lb crystal 60
1/2 lb crystal 120
9 lb two-row
2 lb Munich
1 lb flaked barley

1 tbl Irish moss
3/4 oz Amarillo
1/2 oz Saaz
1 tbl gypsum

Mash @ 152 for 90, boil 90 min, add Amarillo and gypsum @ 90, Saaz @15, Irish moss @ 15min.

My real question is about the hop schedule. Based on what I have read, Amarillo and Saaz should compliment each other, but anyone with an experienced opinion would be greatly appreciated. Yeast is ESB 1968 London Ale

Will someone critique this Amber Ale Recipe, please?

1/4 lb chocolate malt
1/2 lb crystal 60
1/2 lb crystal 120
9 lb two-row
2 lb Munich
1 lb flaked barley

1 tbl Irish moss
3/4 oz Amarillo
1/2 oz Saaz
1 tbl gypsum

Mash @ 152 for 90, boil 90 min, add Amarillo and gypsum @ 90, Saaz @15, Irish moss @ 15min.

My real question is about the hop schedule. Based on what I have read, Amarillo and Saaz should compliment each other, but anyone with an experienced opinion would be greatly appreciated. Yeast is ESB 1968 London Ale

Why the gypsum? That's quite a bit, but if you are used to using that much and like it that would be fine. I would not, especially with saaz hops.

I think that by adding amarillo at 90 minutes, it'll be strictly a bittering hop and you won't get any flavor from it, so if you want only the saaz to be in the flavor, this recipe will do it. It's not really an American amber, with only .5 ounce of hops in the flavor/aroma additions. It's more of a German (Czech?) amber ale.

Yooper, thank you. I am still "green", ha, get it? when it comes to hops. I looked last night and saw Jamil's Amber-Red ale recipe is very close except for the hop additions and quantity. The reason I have my hop additions and IBU's so low, is I am still not sure which hops I really like the flavor, and which I don't. Lately every time I get the IBU's in the 40"s range, it seems, the longer I let the beer bottle condition, the more of a metallic taste I get.
If I add the Amarillo at 60, I see the bitterness lowers according to QBrew.
So, if I add the Amarillo @ 60, and 1 oz of Saaz @ 15, would that be closer to the style?I do appreciate your opinion. I have just re read the BJCP guidelines and wonder should I reverse the hop additions?

Yooper, thank you. I am still "green", ha, get it? when it comes to hops. I looked last night and saw Jamil's Amber-Red ale recipe is very close except for the hop additions and quantity. The reason I have my hop additions and IBU's so low, is I am still not sure which hops I really like the flavor, and which I don't. Lately every time I get the IBU's in the 40"s range, it seems, the longer I let the beer bottle condition, the more of a metallic taste I get.
If I add the Amarillo at 60, I see the bitterness lowers according to QBrew.
So, if I add the Amarillo @ 60, and 1 oz of Saaz @ 15, would that be closer to the style?I do appreciate your opinion. I have just re read the BJCP guidelines and wonder should I reverse the hop additions?

Well, ditch the gypsum for sure if you don't like intense harsh bitterness! It's only needed when the water is low in sulfate, and to enhance dryness and bitterness. It really shouldn't be in this beer at all.

I'd rather use something else for bittering, so the amarillo could be used for late additions like at 15 minutes. Amarillo is a wonderful citrusy hop that is great in ambers, but at 60 minutes the flavor and aroma would be boiled off and leave behind only bittering. I'd rather use a neutral hop (like magnum) for bittering, and use the amarillo for flavor. Saaz is nice, but it's odd in an American amber. That's fine if you like it, of course, but aside from a few ambers it's out of place and not really my first choice to go with amarillo.

Okay, no gypsum as I don't want harsh bitterness. I have Saaz at hand and amarillo as well. I will take your advice and pick up some magnum to use with the amarillo and keep the saaz for something else.. What quantities/times of each hop would be your choice? I really do appreciate your help.

Okay, no gypsum as I don't want harsh bitterness. I have Saaz at hand and amarillo as well. I will take your advice and pick up some magnum to use with the amarillo and keep the saaz for something else.. What quantities/times of each hop would be your choice? I really do appreciate your help.

Bitter to 25 IBUs with the 60 minute addition, and then use an ounce of amarillo at 15 minutes for a nice bright hops flavor.

That's a bit more crystal malt than I prefer, but certainly not to much to offend. Then again amber/browns aren't really my style.

That's a bit more crystal malt than I prefer, but certainly not to much to offend. Then again amber/browns aren't really my style.

Ambers often have up to 15% crystal malt in their grist. This recipe doesn't approach that. It's about 7.5% or so, if my quick math is ok. That's actually low, for an American amber.

So, Yooper, do you mean magnum @ 60 to hit 25 IBU's, followed by amarillo at 15 minutes? According to QBrew, 1/2 oz of magnum @ 60 makes the ibu's @ 22, and adding 1 oz of amarillo @ 15 takes it up 32 ibu's. Is that right?

Ambers often have up to 15% crystal malt in their grist. This recipe doesn't approach that. It's about 7.5% or so, if my quick math is ok. That's actually low, for an American amber.

I know, that's why I said it's not my style, I try to turn everything dry and hoppy!

So, Yooper, do you mean magnum @ 60 to hit 25 IBU's, followed by amarillo at 15 minutes? According to QBrew, 1/2 oz of magnum @ 60 makes the ibu's @ 22, and adding 1 oz of amarillo @ 15 takes it up 32 ibu's. Is that right?

Yes, that would be about right. I'm not sure what sort of efficiency you get, but if you target 32 IBUs with an OG of about 1.050, that should be a very nice beer.

Yooper,
You are all that and a sack of chips! I am not a great lover of over hoppy beers, but that statement is dependent on personal taste. I happen to like Fat Tire Amber, and their IBU's are listed at 18, I believe. SNPale's ibu's are listed at 38, and some days that happens to be a bit too hoppy for me. The one restaurant I frequent has it on tap, and it is an entirely different beer. Hop forward to say the least, but very clean. I will go somewhere in between 18 and 40, and will make a less hoppy but not cloyingly sweet ale. Thank you again.

New question: if I wanted to dry hop at flameout, is there a "normal" number of minutes from flameout to pitch temperature? I guess what I am really asking is if it takes me two hours to get to pitch temp from flameout, am I helping the hop aroma, hurting the hop aroma, or is there really anything to worry about?

MindenMan said:
New question: if I wanted to dry hop at flameout, is there a "normal" number of minutes from flameout to pitch temperature? I guess what I am really asking is if it takes me two hours to get to pitch temp from flameout, am I helping the hop aroma, hurting the hop aroma, or is there really anything to worry about?

Correction: adding hops at flameout is not dry hopping;)

I like to add the hops at flameout and allow to sit for 30 minutes prior to chill/whirlpool/primary

Dry hopping would be adding more hops either at the end of primary fermentation or in secondary if you choose to use one

Right, dry hopping doesn't happen at flameout, you got me there. Another one of my poorly phrased questions. I guess what I really wanted to know, as I don't have any king of speed cooling device, will that affect the aroma/taste of the hops I add at 15 minutes due to the long cooling time?

Back