Brown sugar in a brown ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProfessorBrew

Reaction score
I'm thinking of adding some brown sugar to a brown ale recipe I've been working on.

How much should I add for a 5-gallon AG batch?

When I add sugar(tends to be soft brown) to English style ales, I match the % to that of crystal malt used. So it tends to be 10% of each.

What he is saying is it depends on your fermentables.

Post the recipe.

I usually add about 1kg of brown sugar in to my 5 gallons, but that is Imperial not naval... Also, with me doing gluten free grains I need the extra sugar, but, it still works and I still get lots of grain taste through.

are you using real brown sugar? i personally would use muscovado or something that leaves more of a molasses flavor... if thats what you are going for that is... brown sugar is usually just refined sugar that they add molasses back into.

are you using real brown sugar? i personally would use muscovado or something that leaves more of a molasses flavor... if thats what you are going for that is... brown sugar is usually just refined sugar that they add molasses back into.

This. My experience is that if you're adding brown sugar for flavor, you will be disappointed.

What about adding molasses instead? I added some molasses in addition to the brown sugar that came with my nut brown ale kit and it's tasting real nice at the moment.

ya you could just add molasses, you do have to be careful because it is a strong flavor so it can overpower very quickly. I have only used a couple of tablespoons in a dry stout (5 gal batch) and then about 5% in an imperial porter that recently went in a barrel (very stong molasses flavor, prolly 3%ish would have been better) so I don't really know what the appropriate amount would be for a brown ale. That's why i recommended muscovado because it can leave a nice subtle molasses flavor and contributes some highly fermentable sugar as well, it is kind of expensive though

Thats the gear i was talking about. Real brown sugar wi' nowt taken ouy!
I still say( unless you are going for a monster of a beer) stick to 10% of the rtotal fermentabled. For example, if you have a grain bill of 3.5kg, then go fot 350hr of sugar. Its the most English of formulas; 80%malt, 10% crystal or roast grains and 10% simple sugars.

Back