Hello all from Maryland

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cronxitawney

Reaction score
I recently brewed my first batch from a kit (English Pale Ale), and was instantly hooked. Since then I made a Honey Ale from a recipe that I made up. The Ale is bottled and carbing, and it will be awhile before I found out if my creation is horrible or yummy. It is getting hard to get anything done at work, because I spend all day thinking about what I am going to brew next:D Looking forward to learning a lot from everyone.

Welcome to the addiction. It only gets more expensive from here on out.

Where in MD are you at? I'm in Elkridge (near Columbia just south of Baltimore). You'll find a bunch of MD'ers here at HBT.

Maryland Homebrew and Annapolis Homebrew.

Use the search feature on the forum and you can find discussion about both...nothing bad said about either that I can remember.

I am biased towards MDHB since it is 15 minutes from home, on my way back home from work, and I know the folks that run the joint.

Flying Barrel rocks!

If i can trek down to Gaithersburg to stare at Growlers' really BIG wort chiller (behind the building, it's the size of a refigerator) then you can trek up to Frederick for brew supplies. :) You can stop at Brewer's Alley or Barley and Hops too for some microbrew while you're there. :)

Seriously, I'm not sure of any LHBS's closer but even Germantown to Frederick is still more convenient that a LOT of people have on this forum. Flying Barrel also has a GREAT selection of most stuff and Bob is awesome and always friendly.

If you can't make the drive for whatever reason, you can check out one of the online home brew suppliers. Maryland Homebrew is the closest so shipping shouldn't be horrible (cost or speed). I've had great experience with Austin Homebrew Supply for my online orders - Forrest is a member of these forums and their clone kits are very good!

Welcome to HBT!

Welcome! I am in Odenton (between Baltimore and DC) and just started brewing in October. The forum is full of good advice and people willing to help you out. I hope your honey ale turns out well! :mug:

Thanks for the help guys. I will probably check out the Flying Barrel this weekend. So far everything that I have picked up has been online, and the shipping has been pretty brutal.

Welcome to the group. Maryland does have a lot of brewers. I have yet to meet any face to face but hope to change that soon. Good luck w/ your brews:mug: , nice snow today

cronxitawney said:
Thanks for the help guys. I will probably check out the Flying Barrel this weekend. So far everything that I have picked up has been online, and the shipping has been pretty brutal.
i shop at mdhb in columbia myself.... its 30 min from DC vs 55 to fredrick.

Welcome!

cronxitawney said:
I am in Germantown. Do you know of any local Home Brew supply stores? The only one I can find is in Frederick.

The only ones in MD are The Flying Barrel in Frederick, Maryland Homebrew in Columbia and Annapolis Homebrew in Severna Park. There's also an excellent homebrew club in Frederick, I highly recommend them. :D

MD native here, work in Gaithersburg. Welcome aboard!!

FireBrewer said:
The only ones in MD are The Flying Barrel in Frederick, Maryland Homebrew in Columbia and Annapolis Homebrew in Severna Park. There's also an excellent homebrew club in Frederick, I highly recommend them. :D

MD native here, work in Gaithersburg. Welcome aboard!!

Not entirely true, there is The Thirsty Brewer in Baldwin, MD. Nice shop, proprietor is a good guy. Too far from Germantown, but not too far from Hanover, PA.

There's also one in Hagerstown but I don't recall which it is. The Cork or something. I really don't mean to dump on "the little guy" because I'm sure there are a bunch of passionate brewers who run them, but Maryland has a handful of GREAT homebrew supply stores and probably a bucketload of smaller ones.

It's the Wal-Mart paradox for me. :) No "small" shop can keep a decent selection of products and a large selection of fresh grains in stock without without selling them. They would quickly go out of business if they were keeping it fresh and NOT selling them. And if they had a large selection AND were selling them, they'd not be "small" LHBS.

wzup97 said:
Not entirely true, there is The Thirsty Brewer in Baldwin, MD. Nice shop, proprietor is a good guy. Too far from Germantown, but not too far from Hanover, PA.

Doh! Forgot about that one! :eek: Tom is a good guy, no doubt.

MD takin' over. I live in Bethesda, but work in Columbia. I was just at MDHB today. Had to pick up a few supplies. They also have a nice little selection of hops. ;)

adx said:
MD takin' over. I live in Bethesda, but work in Columbia. I was just at MDHB today. Had to pick up a few supplies. They also have a nice little selection of hops. ;)
yeah i have a decent selection of hops. mainly because i hear about the lack..... but its still cheep there!

Back