Chimay sampler pack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Happy Mug

Reaction score
Hello everybody, I was just privelaged to getting to sample the nicely packaged Chimay set. It includes three Chimay beers, and a beautiful chimay chalice glass. All for about 11 bucks. Total bargain.

My best friend brought this over. It is a nice boxed set containing three beautiful Trappist ales and a wonderful chalice glass. It came with a very informative booklet detailing Trappist ales, the monestary, the ales and how to enjoy them.

I did learn that only six beers in the world are actually allowed to use the name "Trappist." They are Chimay, Orval, Rochefort, Westmalle, Westvleteren and Achel. This was all in the booklet.

Of course, what we're all interested in is the beers. According to the booklet, all are bottle conditioned. The booklet recommends leaving the final centimeter in the bottle. Naturally, my friend and I poured it until the final centimeter, then enjoyed the yeasty goodness remaining (tasted great!)

The first we tried was the red label. It had a wonderful boquet, well balanced with mild apple notes. It was very nice, with a clean malt finish (7%). It had a beautiful reddish color and wonderfully thick head. The head was a cream of tiny bubbles.

The red was rather stronger, but still had the apple notes and was very smooth. The residual maltiness of this brew really left me wanting more. It was a touch yeasty, but balanced extremely well with this brew (9%). Its color was the most beautiful of the brews, and the head equally as generous.

And there was Chimay Triple, the final one we drank. The others recommended cellar temperature, this one was about 42 to 46 F. It had a nice golden color and a sweet fruity/hoppy aroma. Very pleasant, with the apple notes prevelant again. The booklet describes "dry grapes", but I found it more of a pleasant dry wine hint. The head was equally as beautiful as the previous brews, and this 8% brew went down wonderfully.

This is totally a wonderful set. I highly recommend it, and the glass is total quality. Well worth the price.

The happy mug said:
This is totally a wonderful set. I highly recommend it, and the glass is total quality. Well worth the price.

Got one, I agree.

Mine is still unopened (the beers anyway, I browsed through the book), being saved for a rainy day..... :D

Chouffe has a nice one too, which includes 750mL LaChouffe and McChouffe. Sampler packs are great. Good beer, nice glasses, and a Belgian buzz.

the chimay is a good pack, but i think the best one is the Samuel Smith gift pack. that Brewery Pale Ale and the Oatmeal Stout go so damn good in that tulip glass.....

yea, the sam smith has the Oatmeal Stout, Brewery Pale Ale, and i think the Nut Brown Ale. i paid like $9 for that one....good deal.

Back