Should I always follow a recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berk2027

Reaction score
I made a few kits and followed a few recipes and have changed them to but now have sort of mixed 3 different recipes together do u think this is wise

Well... If you have done it already I guess report back in a month or so when its ready and conditioned
If it makes beer I say the experements a sucess

I've made a 5 gallon batch oatmeal stout and it fermented well and smells great the only problem it fermented well for two days and now the air lock don't bubble atall I mixed a few recipes together. I used 1lb 4oz - oatmeal. 8oz - rye. 6oz - black malt ( whole ). 10oz - crystal malt ( crushed ). 12oz - chocolate malt ( crushed ). 75g - hops
1lb 1oz muntons spray malt extra dark. 4oz - chocolate powder.
2 tins of coopers liquid malt 1 dark 1 light
Any help please

First off dont dump it! I want to see what comes of this.
Now calm down and breathe just relax.... ok so bubbles dont mean fermentation is occuring, it can be going super slow to where you cant even see it bubble, or the lid could have had a leak [not a big deal].
What you need to do is take a gravity reading, see if you are around your target gravity, then take 2 more readings spaced out once a day. If it stays the same that means its not fermenting. If you can take a gravity reading an get back to use we can let you know a little more.
What kind of yeast did you use?

Firstly I wouldn't dump it considering the wine I made last year was like paint stripper and me and my friend drank 8 bottles of it the yeast I used was muntons premium gold dried yeast tho I read somewhere that it best to use two sashays when using mashed grain sugars the gravity started at 1054 and I just checked it and its now 1022 fermenting between 18 - 22 *c

I can tell you from experence that muntons yeast is not great.
Alot of extract batches seem to hang up around 1.02, you may actually be done fermenting

Muntons has left beers a bit sweet for me, but still turned in to beer. How long has it been since you pitched yeast? Probly gonna be fine. Recheck the sg after a couple days see if it has gone down any more, taste the sample see what you think. 1.022 will be a bit sweet, you could pitch in like a Safale US05 or Nottingham if it is too sweet.

meadmazer said:
Muntons has left beers a bit sweet for me, but still turned in to beer. How long has it been since you pitched yeast? Probly gonna be fine. Recheck the sg after a couple days see if it has gone down any more, taste the sample see what you think. 1.022 will be a bit sweet, you could pitch in like a Safale US05 or Nottingham if it is too sweet.

I pitched yeast 3 days ago now I do have very tiny bubbles rising in the brew still and ill take anouther gravity reading and it 1018

Going back to your original post, of whether to always follow a recipe. In a sense, you did. Yes, you should always have a recipe -- a plan, if you will -- for your brew. But that recipe can be, as this was, your own. You should also take very careful notes as you brew, so that you can duplicate your successes and avoid repeating your errors.

Part of the fun of being a homebrewer is designing your own beers. So you needn't limit yourself to kits or someone else's recipe. In fact, I never use other people's recipes verbatim.

Back