First brew - brown ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mleytevidal

Reaction score
Brewed yesterday and pitched yeast at around 6:30 pm. Should I be seeing any bubbles yet? Anything I should worry?

Just sit back and relax. It can take up to three days to see any signs of fermentation. Usually not that long, but you have nothing to worry about yet.

Wow, brown ales must be a popular first brew choice. I just did my first brew on Saturday (also brown ale). Out of curiosity what temp did you pitch at? And, what temp is the fermenter sitting in right now?

Because 65-70% is the proper temp.

I have a brown ale in fermentation now but it is my second batch. I brewed mine this past Saturday morning and didn't notice any airlock activity until Sunday evening. It's bubbling right along now. Maybe yours is just getting off to a slow start (like mine did).

jwalk4 said:
Wow, brown ales must be a popular first brew choice. I just did my first brew on Saturday (also brown ale). Out of curiosity what temp did you pitch at? And, what temp is the fermenter sitting in right now?

Because 65-70% is the proper temp.

Between 75-78. Was told that's fine for an ale by a few people who've been brewing for a while

Apparatus - is there a good rule of thumb for time where things could've gone wrong?

If you seen nothing by day 3 I would start getting suspicious. Also don't worry about the babby poop looking stuff that will be floating on top. I love brown ales and have a few good recipes that I can brew from grain to glass in 5 days(taste great by day 11) Your ferm temp sounds a little high for dry yeast which is what I imagine you pitched. Generally the higher the ferment temp the more flavors your going to get from your yeast. Great for whit beers and belgians bad for beer I like clean like my browns but pallets Differ.

If you seen nothing by day 3 I would start getting suspicious. Also don't worry about the babby poop looking stuff that will be floating on top. I love brown ales and have a few good recipes that I can brew from grain to glass in 5 days(taste great by day 11) Your ferm temp sounds a little high for dry yeast which is what I imagine you pitched. Generally the higher the ferment temp the more flavors your going to get from your yeast. Great for whit beers and belgians bad for beer I like clean like my browns but pallets Differ.

I actually pitched liquid yeast. I've got the temp down a bit and plan on keeping it steady here at 74-75.

I actually pitched liquid yeast. I've got the temp down a bit and plan on keeping it steady here at 74-75.

The other reason it should be kept cooler, and I'm assuming your measuring temperature from outside the bucket, but the beer inside will be at a higher temperature because fermentation releases heat. So at 74 degrees, the beer could be closer to 80, which could produce some off flavors. If you are taking the temp from inside the bucket, then you are good to go.

Try and get it to a cooler spot in the low to mid 60's if you can, if not make a swamp cooler. There are threads, or youtube's I'm sure, that show you how to do that.

My first was a brown ale also that I brewed up this past May. It gets addicting, so get ready! :)

sweed said:
Try and get it to a cooler spot in the low to mid 60's if you can, if not make a swamp cooler. There are threads, or youtube's I'm sure, that show you how to do that.

My first was a brown ale also that I brewed up this past May. It gets addicting, so get ready! :)

ITs been constant at 70/72 now for a few days. Everything looks good so far. Next brew will definitely be kept cooler.

Back