Can I use my soda Co2 filler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KronIcBREW

Reaction score
Hey there, I have a small carbonation tank to carbonate my home made soda.

Called Sodastream... here is a link http://www.sodastreamusa.com/product_info.aspx

Now i was planning on just useing priming sugar, but im just curious as if this will be the same amounts of Co2, more or less? would not using the sugars affect my desired taste?? and would just the bottle alone ruin my quality of beer?

any ideas?

You can certainly use that system to carbonate bottles of beer. Bear in mind that you need about 1/3 the carbonation and you have only crude control over the pressure. Not a big deal with soda, but with beer you could easily lose the whole bottle to foam.

IMHO, stick with priming sugar. It works, doesn't impact the quality of your beer and you have much better control.

I've used my sodastream to carbonate beer. Waste of time and effort. You would need to go real slow with short bursts, and even then it foams up a bunch. Its taken me 20 mminutes to carb one liter. If youre into that, go for it.

I've used my sodastream to carbonate beer. Waste of time and effort. You would need to go real slow with short bursts, and even then it foams up a bunch. Its taken me 20 mminutes to carb one liter. If youre into that, go for it.

hahaha good looks man. i was thinking about using the bottles that came with the machine though, so it wouldnt foam over i dont think... but yeah i was just curious...

Bear in mind that you need about 1/3 the carbonation and you have only crude control over the pressure. Not a big deal with soda, but with beer you could easily lose the whole bottle to foam.
yeah my first thought was no control over amounts....maybe i could rig a regulator up or somthing on my free time at work ;) hahaa

maybe ill just try a liter or 2 to see differences..
ill keep you posted.. good looks

KronIcBREW said:
hahaha good looks man. i was thinking about using the bottles that came with the machine though, so it wouldnt foam over i dont think... but yeah i was just curious...

Yeah, i'm talking about the bottles that came with it. I think you'd be hard pressed to find that thread on any other bottle. The sodastream has a limit to how much co2 the bottle will hold. When its full, and the excess farts out, it won't hold any more and needs to be vented. If youre doing it with beer, the foam will shoot out of the overflow if you hit the co2 for too long. You literally have to give it a short burst. Try it out, but its not worth the effort, imo.

haha alright well im convinced.. i probly will attempt a small amount for ****s and giggles(and a mess) but other than that i was just curious seeing as i would already have a carbonator IFF it worked... but oh well... thanks mikeysab

Back