• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

2 - Little Giant 3-MD-HC (581603) Magnetic pumps for sale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mnHawk8

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all….I have 2 Little Giant 3-MD-HC (581603) magnetic pumps for sale; 1 new and 1 used. Both have original box/packages. Both have been opened. As mentioned, 1 has NEVER been used and the other as been used (once or twice).

I bought these a little over a year ago to use in my brewery, but never really implemented them.

Not sure what to ask for them…how about, based on what I see on eBay, including shipping, $170 for the unused one and $130 for the used one. I will ship (included in price) to the lower 48. Outside of that will include additional shipping charges.

I have a Paypal account (this would be my preferred payment method).

Don’t hesitate to ask questions.

Thanks for looking.

P1000370.jpg

I could have sworn there was some technicality that made these pumps OK for boiling. Something about pressure rating or something. /shrug. I want it, but I'm broke sorry.

I think I've read something similar on the form, but I'm not one to push my luck (and please don't take my word for it).

You could always let your pot sit until the temp drops below 200 and then pump, but I am not that patient.

They can also be used for other parts of the brew process.

This pump head is the for corrosive fluids, and is constructed of glass filled ryton.

Look here for details of the construction:
http://www.pumpagents.com/pdf/LittleGiantPumps/3-MD-HC.pdf

Regarding the mechanical properties of this polymer, its Heat Deflection Temperature (HDT) is 490 F.

This info is found here:
http://www.technicalproductsinc.com/ryton_specs.html

Definition of HDT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_deflection_temperature

Using this info, I decided to run these pumps on my rig. My wort does not stay above 200F for long when I am running this pump.

The longest it operates above 200 F is when the pump is operating during the tyndallization phase of system sanitation, and that will be for around 15 minutes.

Other than that, during wort chilling, it will remain about 200F for only a few minutes as the worts goes through the chiller.

These are terrific pumps. I looked at the spec sheets and consider them to be an excellent value for brewing.

BTW, I sold the white poly-pro version of these pumps a while back; the HC's are even better.

These are awesome pumps. They are way more powerful than the common chugger or march. I use this same pump, it's no problem over 200 degrees. It also primes very easily with the center inlet. This is a great price for the pump. I think they are over $300 new.

JRems said:
These are awesome pumps. They are way more powerful than the common chugger or march. I use this same pump, it's no problem over 200 degrees. It also primes very easily with the center inlet. This is a great price for the pump. I think they are over $300 new.

Does it handle boiling alright?

mnHawk8 said:
Just fell off the page....these are still for sale.

Hey, I sent you a PM yesterday morning. Not sure if you got it okay...

These are great pumps. They handle boiling temps fine. I ran a 220v version of the same pump until I switched to a full electric rig. I sold the pump on here and have had no complaints. I'm running two 120v pumps now, a March and a Chugger, and they have about half the power as this lil work horse had.

Probably should have asked this first, but is this powerful enough to give a strong whirlpool THROUGH a plate chiller? I want one that can manage it through my Therminator.

And I have no immediate plans for this next thing, but it'd be nice to know - is this strong enough for a CIP spray ball?

zeus53219 said:
These are great pumps. They handle boiling temps fine. I ran a 220v version of the same pump until I switched to a full electric rig. I sold the pump on here and have had no complaints. I'm running two 120v pumps now, a March and a Chugger, and they have about half the power as this lil work horse had.

Just wondering... why did you get rid of it?

I have 2 of these pumps. i whirlpool thru my therminator. 10 gallon batches. great flow.

rianrt said:
I have 2 of these pumps. i whirlpool thru my therminator. 10 gallon batches. great flow.

Awesome, just what I was hoping to hear (or else I'd have to make my valve system way more complicated).

I bought the unused one. I already have a March 815, which I'll probably use on my HLT and I'll likely get a SS chugger for my MLT (it's an eHERMS that'll allow back to back batches). Anybody know if SS heads exist for these pumps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back