Brew stand designing dilemna

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HansF

Reaction score
What I want:
-Single tier
-3 keggle
-2 (or 3) burners
-Use existing SQ14 burner (+ 1 or 2 more)

What I have:

brew002.jpg

Current SQ14 burner + keggle = 36.5" tall

What my latest idea is:
-Build a steel "bed frame" type cart 19"x60"
-Steel platform
-Place the burners inside frame
-Add 4 casters
-Add some sort of "cart" handle

What I know:
-Cart can't be much taller than 6"
-I am only 5'10" tall

What I can't figure out:
-Where the propane tank goes
-Where to mount March pump
-If this is the best idea

What I need to know:
-How much weight it needs to support?

I have been driving myself nuts designing, redesigning and re-redesigning a brew stand in my head for months. Wood or metal? Weld or weldless? Single tier or 2 tier? Does anybody have any thoughts or ideas to share?

:confused:

I think you mean 6' :)

Nope, I mean 6". If you take the 36.5" of the keggle and burner plus ~5" for the casters you end up 41.5". Then add 6" for the cart and the top of the keggle ends up being 47.5" high. Much taller than that and it gets awkward to stir. At least that's what my mock up tells me.

Ahh ok - you mean it can't be any more than 6" taller - gotcha!

Couple ideas:

- Take the burners out of the SQ14 stand and just use those.
- Keep the stand, but cut off the legs - just keep the windscreen and burner.

I think you're going to find it hard for people to comment on your particular scenario. Each stand is unique really.

As for weight: calculate your requirements then work from there. Lots of people build wood stands but more build metal stands and for good reason: they are more suitable for this.

Your propane tank probably just sits outside the stand and connects to a rail that feeds the burners.

Your pump - too hard to say without knowing the cart/stand design.

you could build a riser to sit beside the brewstand so you can easily reach everything. This way you will have enough height to mount (and adjust the height of) your burners

Eric

My buddy is 5"10 and he does ok on my single tier. 32" tall + keggles. i'm 6' and it's a bit of a pain to stir the MLT but we bust out the step ladder for him. I have the pumps and plate chiller under the MLT to keep them away from the heat of the HLT and BK burners. Propane tank is 5' away from the stand for heat, warming, and easy swap out reasons (we do 4 batches per session).

I have the casters not on the "bottom" but on one of the ends. When not in brewing use most of the gear (including 3 keggles) go on the inside the stand for storage (the main reason it's so big/tall).

Back