White juice makes red wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

preamble

Reaction score
Last fall I purchased several buckets of wine juice, one red and two whites.
The two whites were supposed to be pinot grigio and sauvignon blanc.

During the initial bucket fermentation I noticed that one of the while juices kept getting more red in color and now appears to be a red wine!

Is it possible one was a blush but was mislabeled? I've never made a blush so I'm not sure if it starts out read.

The juice was pretty cloudy when I got it (as it was last year) and I killed the wild yeast, added a nutrient and a good wine yeast.

Last fall I purchased several buckets of wine juice, one red and two whites.
The two whites were supposed to be pinot grigio and sauvignon blanc.

During the initial bucket fermentation I noticed that one of the while juices kept getting more red in color and now appears to be a red wine!

Is it possible one was a blush but was mislabeled? I've never made a blush so I'm not sure if it starts out read.

The juice was pretty cloudy when I got it (as it was last year) and I killed the wild yeast, added a nutrient and a good wine yeast.

If you didn't have any grape skins, the wine should be white. It's the color of the skins and flesh that makes the color of the wine. Usually, a blush is fermented on the skins briefly, while a white is pressed juice only. Pinot gris can be a blush color, though.

Thanks for the really quick reply!

This was juice without the skins that I was working with.
The color is pretty dark red but not as dark as my Merlot.

I'm going to rack it and give it a taste.
Should I be worried that it could be bad?

Thanks for the really quick reply!

This was juice without the skins that I was working with.
The color is pretty dark red but not as dark as my Merlot.

I'm going to rack it and give it a taste.
Should I be worried that it could be bad?

No- it should be good! The color is odd, but certainly not a flavor problem. Just make sure you keep it out of the light (cover it with a blanket) and keep it topped up to avoid oxidation. Sometimes a white wine that isn't topped up will turn brownish/golden, due to oxidation. But never red, so don't worry!

Latest posts

Back