Beer really cloudy after 2 weeks in the bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heavyfoot

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I recently bottled an extract recipe that I got from brewing classic styles (Programmer's Elbow ESB).

It looked quite a bit cloudier than other beers I've made when I was bottling and now after two weeks in the bottle it's still really hazy. You can barely see light through a bottle.

Any ideas what could cause this? I fermented a bit higher than usual as temps are picking up where I am and I don't have a basement. It was probably around 73 degrees most of the time. Would this be the cause?

Also, this was my first go with DME instead of LME? Is there any tendency for DME beers to be cloudier?

I didn't use any clarifiers but all my other beers have been clearing pretty good without.

Figure after another week and a few days in the fridge it'll clear?

i've had a lot of beers like that -- sometimes they take a few extra weeks in the bottle to clear

i've had a lot of beers like that -- sometimes they take a few extra weeks in the bottle to clear

Figure there's not much too worry about then?

As a side note, I'm fairly new to brewing and had been wondering to myself "is there really that big a difference from one type of hop to the next?" Wow, the difference between East Kent Goldings (this was a single-hop EKG beer) and others I've made with cascade, centennial, citra, etc. is amazing. Completely different taste.

Maybe you bottled it too soon? Did you get a stable FG,then let it clean up & settle out a bit? I do,& after 1 1/2 -2 weeks in the bottle,they're nice & clear.

Maybe you bottled it too soon? Did you get a stable FG,then let it clean up & settle out a bit? I do,& after 1 1/2 -2 weeks in the bottle,they're nice & clear.

To be honest, I usually don't check the FG until I'm bottling. I always primary for 3 weeks and just assume its done. Can it still be fermenting at 3 weeks? I actually did bottle this one a touch early, 19 or 20 days I think.

Give it a little more time. Some of mine take a while to clear (depending on how well my chilling went). But, they always taste great even if cloudy.

My last batch took 3 weeks to reach FG. I then dry hopped for a 4th week. I like to bottle it when it's settled out pretty good,just a little bit of haze left. Plenty to carbonate/age with. Then they always clear up nicely.

Back