Use of a swamp tub...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SauceBoss

Reaction score
I tried to search and it isnt mentioned anywhere (That I can find at least).

Well given that I live in FL and its been hot as anything lately, I have been using a swamp tub for my primary fermenter to keep my beer at the ideal temperature during the fermentation. Well given that, my question is actually, when I move the beer to my secondary to clarify and what not, is it necessary to keep the beer in the swamp cooler as well? My noob train of thought would tell me no, but I figured I would ask here just to see what might work best.

Any suggestions or insight? Thanks to all in advance :)

No, it's not necessary to do it. Temp control is really only crucial in the initial hours of fermentation, like the first 72. If you have a 72 hour initial lag time before it started that would be 6 days, so the first week is important. After that there is no or little yeast production occurring so they won't be putting out any heat generated waste products any more. It won't hurt to keep your secondary in a swamp cooler, but it is not necessary either.

I continue to use my swamp cooler through to "secondary" (I don't secondary often, mostly long primary) to help crash cool. A couple days before I'm ready to keg or bottle I chuck as much ice and ice bottles as I can fit in there.

Thanks again guys for the responses. I am only on my second batch now and I kept my first batch through the secondary in the swamp cooler and all was fine, just curious to know if it was necessary as ill have two batches finishing going into secondary at the same time and my gf is gonna start yelling at me with all the swamp cooler sand wet towels laying around lol

Back