Sediment in Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahsndpro

Reaction score
I'm about to try my first brew tonight. I can see a layer of sediment at the bottom of the bottle, which I know is normal. However, today I accidentally knocked a bottle over and the sediment swirled around inside the bottle.

My question is: will this sediment become harder after a while and "stick" to the bottom or do I have to be careful to not move the bottles around too much?

Thanks!

If you let the bottles sit in the fridge for about a month or so the yesties will eventually become harder to suspend when moving around a bottle. It can still be done but just not as easily.

The sediment can always be disturbed and so you will need to perfect the homebrew pour, where you leave it behind, and then, of course drink it yourself out of the bottle.

If you find this bothersome, there are yeasts that form very tight sediments. The more flocculate a yeast is, the tighter the sediment. The trade-off being an increased chance of stuck ferments. This is one of the reasons commercial brewers will filter out the fermenting yeast and use a carbonating yeast. You can also leave the brew in the clearing tank longer before bottling.

Latest posts

Back