Boil problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BleedsDogFish

Reaction score
In a panic here, i am brewing an extract kit. Ive had the water on full heat and its not boiling , im using a turkey frier. Can this hurt the beer if it takes a long time to boil? its been a full hour with no boil yet.....

What I had to do when I was brewing on the stove top was kinda put the pot over two burners and crank them both up all the way.

don'y worry man.it's ok
zippo.bmp

BleedsDogFish said:
In a panic here, i am brewing an extract kit. Ive had the water on full heat and its not boiling , im using a turkey frier. Can this hurt the beer if it takes a long time to boil? its been a full hour with no boil yet.....

Not sure what kind of fryer you have, but I bought the Bayou Classic model. The first time I brewed with it, the flame wasn't going very high and wouldn't change no matter how high I turned the dial. After I turned it back and forth a few times it seemed to "open up". You'll know when this happens because the flame is 12" high and it sounds like a jet engine. No kidding, it's hard to hear someone talking just 5 feet away if you're standing next to it :rockin:.

If you have the same burner I'd check to see if your dial is stuck. The other thing is to make sure you fuel/air mixture is correct, which can effect the heat of your flame a great deal.

TwoHeadsBrewing said:
Not sure what kind of fryer you have, but I bought the Bayou Classic model. The first time I brewed with it, the flame wasn't going very high and wouldn't change no matter how high I turned the dial. After I turned it back and forth a few times it seemed to "open up". You'll know when this happens because the flame is 12" high and it sounds like a jet engine. No kidding, it's hard to hear someone talking just 5 feet away if you're standing next to it :rockin:.

If you have the same burner I'd check to see if your dial is stuck. The other thing is to make sure you fuel/air mixture is correct, which can effect the heat of your flame a great deal.

Im sure there was a problem with burner....I moved the boil to the stove burner and it's going well.....Adding the lid seems to heat the boil up some.

TwoHeadsBrewing said:

Im sure there was a problem with burner....I moved the boil to the stove burner and it's going well.....Adding the lid seems to heat the boil up some.

BleedsDogFish said:
Don't leave the lid on once you add the extract! While it's not as much a concern with extract as it is with AG, there's undesirable flavors that may result from keeping the wort covered:
Palmer's How to Brew said:
DMS is continuously produced in the wort while it is hot and is usually removed by vaporization during the boil. If the wort is cooled slowly these compounds will not be removed from the wort and will dissolve back in. Thus it is important to not completely cover the brewpot during the boil or allow condensate to drip back into the pot from the lid. The wort should also be cooled quickly after the boil, either by immersing in an ice bath or using a wort chiller.
Also want to point out that you don't have to do a full boil for most extract batches, but you may already know that...

Back