Medical Oxygen Regulator Leaking?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pash91

Reaction score
I just scored 2 medical O2 tanks and a regulator from Craigslist. I wanted to test it to make sure, so I hooked everything up, used the wrench to turn it on, and it seems to be leaking. I think it's leaking from the regulator as the gasket seems to be a little worn.

Does anyone have a local source for this?

Look up industrial gas supply places near you. Many of them do medical O2 and have parts for the regulators.

Edit: If you are not familiar with using pure O2 read up on it. It can be quite dangerous of not handled properly.

My guess would be one of the regulators internal seals or maybe some kind of pressure relief that is stuck. Might try turning the regulator all the way down then bringing it up slowly, it could be that the valve is backed out too far.

My guess would be one of the regulators internal seals or maybe some kind of pressure relief that is stuck. Might try turning the regulator all the way down then bringing it up slowly, it could be that the valve is backed out too far.

I called the manufacturer following this post: http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=&t=19196

They claim its broken and there's no way to fix it. It's also out of warranty and they won't replace it. I don't see any way to fix it or any way to take it apart for that matter. I'm going to see if I can get my money back from the craigslist listing

That sucks! Wish I could see it, manufactures of such things always say it can not be fixed just to cover their but. They might be correct in this case but I always try because I am often successful at fixing things that "can not be fixed".

I rarely use e-bay because I have had similar experiences. Got a great deal on a new bench top adjustable DC power supply and almost immediately had a burn out because small gauge wire was used internally. Was not hard to replace with proper wire but should not have happened in the first place.

Yeah, I usually try and fix things myself, but I have absolutely no idea how to take it apart. I feel like it probably just needs a little love.

Yeah, I usually try and fix things myself, but I have absolutely no idea how to take it apart. I feel like it probably just needs a little love.

Have not worked on medical regulators. Oxy / acetaline regulators often have set screws holding the outside housing on. Sometime they have no screws but the outside housing is threaded onto the inside housing. If it is one of the bar shaped medical ones with the floating BB gauge then it is probably a completely different animal.

Hope it works out!

Ok getting closer. I managed to find what I need to remove to disassemble it, but it's one of those spring rings like on a sanke keg. Working out how to get it off

Ok getting closer. I managed to find what I need to remove to disassemble it, but it's one of those spring rings like on a sanke keg. Working out how to get it off

If it is a snap ring with two holes at the ends they make pliers for that. I have also had luck with putting a nail in each hole and using regular pliers. Sometimes you can also get a pair of needle nose to work. As soon as you get an edge loose put a flat tip screwdriver in and you can normally work it loose.

There will be a very strong spring inside the regulator, its what determines the pressure. There will be a flow device, most likely leaking from within that. You CANNOT use normal o-rings, etc. Everything used within must be oxygen clean and of compatible materials. Failure to do this might cause the regulator to burn. With a few thousand psi of oxygen, even aluminum and brass will burn!
I work in a company that manufactures oxygen regulators for the heath field.

PM me
I have a medical oxygen regulator and two empty bottles. I can't get them filled even WITH a prescription unless I go through a medical oxygen distributor. For me medical Oxygen is a dead end- but if you want a new regulator you can have mine- nearly new- for nothin but the price of postage

chrisdb said:
PM me
I have a medical oxygen regulator and two empty bottles. I can't get them filled even WITH a prescription unless I go through a medical oxygen distributor. For me medical Oxygen is a dead end- but if you want a new regulator you can have mine- nearly new- for nothin but the price of postage

That's an awesome offer, thank you!

Back