Fruity American Pale Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssdecal

Reaction score
This is my first APA and when I tasted the first one there was no hop flavor at all even though I used 4oz Cascade. The first day of fermentation the temp almost hit 80 degrees. I immediately moved to a cooler spot and the remaining 11 days it was at 70 degrees. Could the one day of higher fermentation temp do this to the beer? Thanks for the help.

4 oz of hops when?

4 oz at 90 minutes would be bitter, but no flavor.

Yes 80F would produce fruit.

The short answer is yes. The long answer is more nuanced. It depends on the yeast and your ingredients. Also, unless you've tasted a lot of beers at various stages, it may be hard to discern how the final product will taste. You can have a beer that tastes ok when bottling that turns out to be a good beer and you could have a great beer that is delicious when bottling. Some flavors will mellow over time, and tasting temperature can be a big factor.

With that said, fermentation temperature control is important in beer quality.

The hop schedule was 2 oz for 60 mins, 1 oz for 15 and another oz for 5 mins. It is done with fermentation. It wasn't as fruity when I tasted during the fermentation. I am going to brew the same recipe but control the temperature better and see the results.

I brewed a similar APA with 3 oz cascade in the boil for bittering/flavoring, and 1 oz dry hop for the last 7 days. It has plenty of hop flavor/aroma.
The 2oz bittering hops in your schedule is pretty high IBU for an APA, closer to an IPA.

This is my first APA and when I tasted the first one there was no hop flavor at all even though I used 4oz Cascade. The first day of fermentation the temp almost hit 80 degrees. I immediately moved to a cooler spot and the remaining 11 days it was at 70 degrees. Could the one day of higher fermentation temp do this to the beer? Thanks for the help.

80 degrees is way too hot. 70 degrees ambient is also too hot. You're likely to see fruity esters from a hot fermentation. I usually ferment 1056 (not sure what strain you're using) around 64 degrees ambient. APAs are supposed to be clean/neutral - so any fruity esters you're seeing are considered a flaw. It might still taste great though. Just something to think about for future brews.

80 degrees is way too hot. 70 degrees ambient is also too hot. You're likely to see fruity esters from a hot fermentation. I usually ferment 1056 (not sure what strain you're using) around 64 degrees ambient. APAs are supposed to be clean/neutral - so any fruity esters you're seeing are considered a flaw. It might still taste great though. Just something to think about for future brews.

While I agree with the first few sentences, the bolded one is not true. APAs can have up to moderate fruity esters in both aroma and flavor.

I did use the 1056 yeast strain. I liked the recipe because of the amount of hops in the beer. It doesn't taste bad just lots of the fruit aroma and flavor. I was also reading that it could lead to alcohol that was not as pleasant to drink, not in flavor but headache the next day.

Also,English ales have varying degrees of fruity esters & are concidered normal & even desirable. Fusel alcohols can be produced at higher ferment temps. If not too prevelent,they can be aged out in primary by allowing the yeast some clean up time. Then in bottles. Too much & you're stuck with it. And with the average ale yeast,70F isn't concidered high,but the threshhold temp.

Aging will clean up some esters but you'll lose some hops in the nose. Good example of how your recipe should be a product of you process. If you're going to ferment at high temps you want to add more aroma hops, age the beer and be more mindful of preventing oxidation. But that still won't make as nice a beer as hitting the right temps.

Live and learn.

Or like I've done in hot weather-use wet tee shirts and a fan to lower temps a few degrees. Def helps. & allow the beer to settle out clear. It also cleans up the things that make off flavors at this same time.

Back