First Lager Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exhumedatbirth

Reaction score
I've been brewing ales for the past few years, and want to give lagers a try. I'm most likely just going to order a kit from NB, or Austin, or whomever for my first attempt. I'm wondering which would be the best style of lager to start with? For instance would a darker lager like a dunkle hide any possible flaws moreso than a lighter lager? My guess is yes it would, but I'd figure it wouldnt hurt to get some opinions.

I've been brewing ales for the past few years, and want to give lagers a try. I'm most likely just going to order a kit from NB, or Austin, or whomever for my first attempt. I'm wondering which would be the best style of lager to start with? For instance would a darker lager like a dunkle hide any possible flaws moreso than a lighter lager? My guess is yes it would, but I'd figure it wouldnt hurt to get some opinions.

Yes, I think it would. If it were me, I'd go lighter. I don't think you should try to hide flaws; instead identify them. This is a golden opportunity to learn about your process and get familiar with brewing lagers.

Maybe get a relatively cheap pilsner and brew it a few times. If you can get it to taste great consistently, all of your beers will benefit from what you learn about your process and you'll know how to brew a top notch lager.

I brewed my first lager this week. I made a Pilsner with Pilsner Malt, Cara-Pils, Czech Saaz, and 2 packs of rehydrated w34/70 fermenting at 50 degrees.

If you have been being ales, and know the process, lagers are easy. If you have decent temp control, they are easier IMO.
Set it to 50 and let it ferment. After about 2 weeks, when the activity has slowed, bring it up to 60-65 for a week, then gradually down to 35 for lagering. Just make sure, you use the right amount of healthy yeast.
Just try a style you like.... Nice hoppy pilsner?

Well..it turned out to be kind of a mess, I fly sparge and got into a conversation with a neighbor...well brew days are also drinking days, and while I thought I had shut the ball valve of HLT..in reality I opened that sucker wide open..my brew partner came ouside and saw wort spilling out of the brew kettle..long story short I have lager roughly 2.0% abv..doesnt tast too bad...which is good because we have a full keg.

Back