Finally brewing again!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antler

Reaction score
I stopped brewing at the end of 2011, as I knew I'd be moving soon and didn't want to be moving some brew during fermenting. I'm finally settled away in my first home!

My first biab attempt went south back in November, not sure what happened but the brew day went smooth, pitched yeast and 3 weeks later came back to a pile of mold in the bucket. Anyway I've been collecting parts and all kinds of things in the meantime and Friday I'll be doing my first successful AG in my brand new Blichmann kettle.

The recipe is from mysticmead, it's his Irish red ale recipe. I'm not sure how much water to start with. I'm aiming for 5.5 gallons into the bucket, 11.5lbs grain, and a 90 minute boil. Using a cheapo propane turkey fryer, any opinions?

The yeast. I'll be pitching a white labs California ale yeast, this is my first time using liquid yeast and I've never made a starter. Should I? Or just warm the vial to room temp and dump it in?

If you have an iPhone I would check out Brew Pal and Sparge Pal on the app store they give you the right amount of water that you would need.

As for liquid yeast I go back and forth between White labs and Wyeast. I have had very great success with just pitching the contents of the vial.

My first all grain batch was a Irish Red as well, it won me my first medal at a competition!

Thanks I think I'll just dump the vial. I have ibrewmaster and it gives me my pre boil amount but I'm wondering how much to start with before the mash. I guess preboil + grain absorption?

You can just pitch the vial. You will make good beer. If you research and pitch the proper amount of yeast by making a starter you will likely make a better beer.

Starters are not difficult to make. There are Youtube videos and you can find information online. mrmalty.com is a good source of information and a calculator for determining the amounts required.

I always make starters when using liquid yeast. Unless I am using fresh yeast from a previous brew, either from the cake or washed.

Ok I came up with an absorption rate of .125 gallons/lb, so with my 10.6lbs of grain and pre boil volume of 6.35 gallons I'd need to start with 7.65 gallons. In my 10 gallon Blichmann will it be tight with 7.65 gallons and 10.6lbs of grain?

Back