Primary Fermentation Concerns

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rflem550

Reaction score
This is my second attempt at home brewing. The first time I did a pale ale and had a tremendous primary fermentation with the carboy just going nuts for several days.

This time I'm doing an amber ale and pitched the yeast this past Thursday. Friday by noon there was some activity in the carboy. It was very active through Saturday. Today it has slowed almost to a halt. Some particles appear to be sinking and everything has mostly settled. I didn't get any blow off at all!

Temperature of the liquid is 71 degrees....I'm still getting bubbles from my blow off tube about every 5-7 seconds.

I'm concerned that I didn't receive the activity that I got the first time I brewed.

Should I move it to the secondary carboy or let it sit for a while. It's only been three days since pitching the yeast.

Don't be concerned, they dont' all ferment the same. Leave it in the primary for at least a week. If it were me, I'd go 2 weeks in primary, add some gelatin 3 days before racking, and bottle it or keg it. Secondaries are overrated for ales.

Sounds like it is fine....but I vote for a secondary for clarification instead of gelatin. 1-2-3 works great for me. ;)

All brews will ferement differently. If you do a hefe, have the blow-off ready~!!!!.....Depends on the yeast more than anything.

yep, its fine. let it sit a week, then rack for a 2 week secondary, then bottle/keg. no need for gelatin with a good secondary.

Even with a secondary, most beers will benefit from gelatin. Secondaries are a waste of time and just a good chance to oxidize the beer.

He's only on his second batch and barely got the process down.
Gelatin....secondary.....Hell, let him have a beer. ;)

hahah true enough. This gelatin thing, you take some knox unflavored gelatin and dissolve 1/2 tsp in 300ml of 170 deg water. These are just round numbers, I stick a flask on the stove, get the water really hot, dump in half a teaspoon and swish it around. Then cool it down a bit and dump it in your fermenter after fermentation has finished and cleaned up after itself. I usually wait 3 days after fermentation is finished. The gelatin particles have an opposite electrical charge from yeast so they stick to the yeast that are in suspension and cause it to drop to the bottom. Because it's gelatin, it forms a relatively solid layer at the bottom, keeping it out of your nice clean beer when you rack off of it. Hot dissolved gelatin smells kind of nasty but it doesn't show up in your beer, just a caveat. First time I sniffed the flask I was like holy crap I'm not putting this in my beer! But I did, and it worked great, and has no effect on aroma or flavor. It's a relatively easy way to get clear beer and can allow you to skip the secondary. I realize each method has its proponents, and I used to do secondaries, but I don't bother with it for ales now because I don't see a difference. That, and Jamil Z. (google him, he's the uber ninja of homebrewing) says a secondary is pointless and being as he is the uber ninja, I'm gonna trust him. Good luck with your beer and with all things homebrewy - relax, don't worry, have a homebrew.

mward said:
Even with a secondary, most beers will benefit from gelatin. Secondaries are a waste of time and just a good chance to oxidize the beer.

Yes, perhaps Palmer is totally off there. You trying to make waves? Let people have opinions, friend.

--your local EAC

Kayos said:
Let people have opinions, friend.

--your local EAC

You might look in a mirror while you say that. I'm just expressing my opinion. :)

Back