Group buy in Chicago?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need to do a final inventory on grain, but other items I am definitely interested in splitting:

- A pound of Paradise seeds. I only want 4 oz but hopefully others are interested as well. 5g are usually a couple bucks at the LHBS and these prices are roughly 80-90% less than that if not more.
- Bitter Orange peel. Would prefer to take 4 oz but would take 8 oz if needed to get the 1lb bag to make a split work.

PM Ace with all of your needs. Thank you.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Home Brew Talk

PM Ace with all of your needs. Thank you.

Yes, that's fine, I will do that for my grain order, but to coordinate sharing of sacks or adjuncts? I am just putting it out there in case others are interested in those items.

I don't have any issue with breaking/weighing grains or anything else that is dry. I have numerous digital scales up to 50 capacity. However, I would like to keep the accounting simple. I suggest that one person purchases the full item, I'll break it down, weigh it and package it in plastic bags but the monies would need to be settled amongst those sharing. Does that sound reasonable?

I don't have any issue with breaking/weighing grains or anything else that is dry. I have numerous digital scales up to 50 capacity. However, I would like to keep the accounting simple. I suggest that one person purchases the full item, I'll break it down, weigh it and package it in plastic bags but the monies would need to be settled amongst those sharing. Does that sound reasonable?

If people are going to be paying individually based on the spreadsheet Ace is compiling, why would it be necessary to coordinate between those that are splitting the sacks or products? Just ensure a full package size order is made and then collect the partial payment as part of the "invoices".

I appreciate you offering to split things up but that may be more work than is reasonable depending on the order size. Just something to consider.

Cheers!

OK, since this is the first time we'll try it out. People can split full items up amonst themselves. I'll weigh it and repackage it. But I'm not breaking up anything liquid, that gets to messy. Hell, even DME gets pretty sticky. Is that OK with everyone? Ace?

Doesn't matter to me. Since the spreadsheet can allow fractions, it would make it easy to allow people to split the cost.

I do agree with Randar that you splitting up bags is above and beyond what is required, but I'll leave that decision up to you.

Doesn't matter to me. Since the spreadsheet can allow fractions, it would make it easy to allow people to split the cost.

I do agree with Randar that you splitting up bags is above and beyond what is required, but I'll leave that decision up to you.

Let's just leave it out there for now. If there's enough interest then we can revisit. Anymore people inquire about joining in?

count me in for at least 5 sacks maybe more depending on the sack price. PM'd for price list.

Do they also sell DME? If so I will let the few extract brewers in my area know.

Ace, the link to the price list you sent me on PM didn't work for some reason. Could I be missing something?

wegz15 said:
Well if anyone is keeping a self count I'm in for 3 bags

Wegz, make sure you PM Ace with your request. Thanks

Bmason already has my info/order, but just to update the sack count for the others in the thread, I'm in for four sacks.

Got the PM and sent the info to my extract brewers. I will PM Ace with my exact quantity once I hear back from the crew. Until then I will take 8 sacks. Good thing the brew room is currently being expanded.;)

Alright, so far we have 13 sacks ordered (not counting ThatGuyRyan's order which would put it up to at least 21 sacks).

Still need some more people, hoping that keeping this thread towards the top of the forum will prompt some more people to order.

Instead of having the grain delivered why not just pick it up at Mid Country Malt? Then we wouldn't need to have a full pallet and pay delivery charges.

We've done these Chicago group buys before, organized in the Chicago Land brewers Group here. I think RC0032 was in charge.

I'll PM Ace about possibly getting in on this order :)

I was just going to suggest picking it up. I have a pickup truck. It is about and hour from me to pick up and 45 minutes to drop off. If guys would pitch in for gas I'd gladly pick it up and deliver to the original location. I did some calculations... from my house to the pick up to roughly cicero and north ave is approximately 77 miles. My truck gets roughly 11.2 mpg. That breaks down to roughly 7 gallons of fuel at $3.80/gallon would cost me about $26 dollars in fuel. If we divide that by 13 sacks its $2 extra a sack. If you guys are cool with that I'd be willing to pick it up on my off day. I'm a firefighter so it wouldn't have to be a weekend.

I was just going to suggest picking it up. I have a pickup truck. It is about and hour from me to pick up and 45 minutes to drop off. If guys would pitch in for gas I'd gladly pick it up and deliver to the original location. I did some calculations... from my house to the pick up to roughly cicero and north ave is approximately 77 miles. My truck gets roughly 11.2 mpg. That breaks down to roughly 7 gallons of fuel at $3.80/gallon would cost me about $26 dollars in fuel. If we divide that by 13 sacks its $2 extra a sack. If you guys are cool with that I'd be willing to pick it up on my off day. I'm a firefighter so it wouldn't have to be a weekend.

Speaking on behalf of all of us, we greatly appreciate your offer of picking it up for us. But let's wait and see if we can generate some more interest in this group buy. There's one member who might be buying 8+ sacks plus some extract too. If it's only 15 sacks or so then I could pick it up as well and charge a modest fee to the buyers. I have a Durango and am closer to South Holland than you. Besides, I could pick this up and unload it at my convenience during a weekday. I'm thinking we give it all of next week then on March 28th we proceed with payment. remember, the distributor only does prepaid with home brewing groups.

I wasn't suggesting buying it today. I was just throwing out there the per sack cost for gas charges as of right now, only assuming it will be less than that. Also, I figured it would be easier for a forklift to put it into a pickup and unload than to do it by hand.

I heard back from one of my all grain partners and he gave me the ok to get as much as I can store. Still have not heard back from the extract guy, I sent out another message today. I am in for a minimum of 10 sacks and will give my buddy the weekend to get back to me.

On a side note I got two walls framed in for my expanded brew room. Tonight I need to empty my current room so I can bust open the wall for the expansion. I keep knocking down walls and it just keeps growing! This will be the second expansion in the past year. ;)

I wasn't suggesting buying it today. I was just throwing out there the per sack cost for gas charges as of right now, only assuming it will be less than that. Also, I figured it would be easier for a forklift to put it into a pickup and unload than to do it by hand.

We may take you up on your offer yet. :) Thank you.

I heard back from one of my all grain partners and he gave me the ok to get as much as I can store. Still have not heard back from the extract guy, I sent out another message today. I am in for a minimum of 10 sacks and will give my buddy the weekend to get back to me.

On a side note I got two walls framed in for my expanded brew room. Tonight I need to empty my current room so I can bust open the wall for the expansion. I keep knocking down walls and it just keeps growing! This will be the second expansion in the past year. ;)

Be sure to post pics for us too see. Sounds awesome.

Are you guys positive you can do this? My understanding is that unless you were a previous customer of any of the Maltsers (like the Michigan masher's are) you can not buy bulk any more....or buy directly from them unless you are a LHBS.

As this thread https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/north-country-malt-group-stop-selling-homebrewers-191682/ and other threads over the last few months have pointed out, ALL the maltser have stopped selling to new homebrewer customers. Only established customers can still buy for them, and there are stipulations. The michigan masher's group on here does 2 bulk buys a year, but from now on ONLY the two guys who ordered for us in the past few years, who's names are on the account can order for us, AND we must place at least one order a year by the end of Jan. or we will be taken off the "preferred customers" list and will never be able to buy from them again. I think the retailers felt we were undercutting their profits too much and lobbied the wholesalers to stop selling to us. So if you want to buy bulk you have to find an established group doing a buy, like a club or the subgroups on here, and get in through there. There will be no new bulk buys being setup....

Basically all of the malsters are one main group, mid county iirc. This is the notice they are all saying.
Our Craft Brewery customers and Homebrew Store Retailers are encouraged to contact us for additional product and pricing information by calling our distribution location that is nearest you.

Homebrewers, please be sure to ask for our products at your local homebrew supply store or your preferred on-line store.

Thank you for visiting our site. We’ll look forward to servicing your needs.
The County Malt Group

Teri Fahrendorf to Bagged, me
show details 6:33 PM (2 minutes ago)
Dear Fletcher,

Thank you for your inquiry. Unfortunately our western warehouse system is not capable of handling sales to homebrewers. We recommend you ask your largest local homebrew store if they offer a full-bag discount. Best wishes for homebrewing success.

Cheers,

Teri Fahrendorf
Specialty Malt Account Manager, Country Malt / Great Western Malting
►We're evolving! Country Malt is the Warehouse, Distribution and Sales arm of Great Western Malting Co.
Sales Desk: 800-496-7732 (Jo Heidlebaugh)
Teri's Cell: 360-356-5599

However, we appreciate the continued business our loyal homebrew customers have given us. With that being said we intend to continue to make our current product line available to our current home brew accounts but we will not be accepting new home brew customers. Homebrew customers who have done business with North Country Malt Supply and Mid Country Malt Supply over the past 12 months can place orders by calling our toll free number (NC: 888-368-5571 - MC: 866-428-1438) or by e-mailing: [email protected].

Thank you for your continued support.

Kelly J. Kuehl - Director of Sales
The Country Malt Group

There's even a thread on Beer advocate.

Did you actually state you were homebrewers looking to do a bulk buy? I would double check before you get your hopes up. We just did our last bulk buy in January and at that point, the above info was the rules.....I have heard NOTHING to contradict it in the last 3 months.....I'd just double check guys....They may have seen the abject stupidity of that move, or are not really enforcing it so much (in this economy to stop opportunities to make money?) but you better double check.

Hi Revvy;

I just spoke with a lady named Aislinn at the corporate office Country Malt Group (CMG) in NY. I asked her to confirm once again that brewing groups are allowed to make purchases directly from them. She informed me that they are. The minimum went from 10 bags to 12 bags, sounds like she may have confused the minimum quantity; but we're safe on that front. They are no longer selling to individual buyers buying a bag or two. Once we reach the 42 bag, I'll send a RFQ and have her confirm it a third time but this time in writing (in the form of a quote). I'm thinking that the pallet maximum is probably 40 bags, 5 bags per layer, 8 layers high which would coincide with bags of plastic resin that we receive at our shop. It all sounds legit to me...

Hi Revvy;

I just spoke with a lady named Aislinn at the corporate office Country Malt Group (CMG) in NY. I asked her to confirm once again that brewing groups are allowed to make purchases directly from them. She informed me that they are. The minimum went from 10 bags to 12 bags, sounds like she may have confused the minimum quantity; but we're safe on that front. They are no longer selling to individual buyers buying a bag or two. Once we reach the 42 bag, I'll send a RFQ and have her confirm it a third time but this time in writing (in the form of a quote). I'm thinking that the pallet maximum is probably 40 bags, 5 bags per layer, 8 layers high which would coincide with bags of plastic resin that we receive at our shop. It all sounds legit to me...

That's cool, I just wanted you guys to make sure, so you didn't go through all this only to be told you can't. Like I said it's the most stupid thing I ever heard. But it sounds like the shops were getting pissed off that we're going behind their backs. Even my buddy who owns a shop hates to hear that I'm involved in one....But I figure that since I only by basemalt in the buys I'm still spending money in stores for everything else. Heck, half the time I'm brewing something that calls for Marris Otter or Pilsner as a basemalt any way.

Is there any way we can get an estimate for a final price on a bag of 2-row after delivery and added costs are included? Do we need to meet the 40 bag minimum before the final price is given?

sudsmcgee said:
Is there any way we can get an estimate for a final price on a bag of 2-row after delivery and added costs are included? Do we need to meet the 40 bag minimum before the final price is given?

Did Ace send you the price list? Once we reach a quantity that everyone is happy with I'll ask for a quote. I'll post the quote got everyone to see. Then we can finalize the price. The only thing I'm not sure of is the taxes but the quote will/should have that. Then we proceed with paypal payments. I'll give the buyers my address and phone number in case anyone needs to contact me. I'm thinking I'll do a wire transfer to expedite payment/delivery. I'm open to suggestions to help make this group buy quick and easy.

Well if they're charging $65+20% that breaks down to 1.95 per sack for shipping if we get 40 sacks. It will also qualify us for a discount (the second column). This is my first time in a group but so please correct me is I'm wrong, but that's what I get from the pricing list.

And I just want to thank bmason for putting the group buy together.

Well if they're charging $65+20% that breaks down to 1.95 per sack for shipping if we get 40 sacks. It will also qualify us for a discount (the second column). This is my first time in a group but so please correct me is I'm wrong, but that's what I get from the pricing list.

Nope, that is correct. However, the unknown is tax...

the pricing in the spreadsheet is based on the price break in the second column (quantities of 2.000-4,000). A pallet of 40 bags at 25Kg/55.1Lbs. is 2204 Lbs.

As far as a target quantity for the group buy, we are going to make it 37 sacks which comes out to 2039 Lbs. (25Kg/55.1Lbs. per sack). This quantity is necessary if we want to get the price break of 2,000-4,000 Lbs. Any objections?

bmason1623 said:
As far as a target quantity for the group buy, we are going to make it 37 sacks which comes out to 2039 Lbs. (25Kg/55.1Lbs. per sack). This quantity is necessary if we want to get the price break of 2,000-4,000 Lbs. Any objections?

That sounds like a good target.

Yeah, I received the price list but wanted to see what it would come out to be with the extra costs added in. Thanks.

Did Ace send you the link for the spreadsheet? Remember everyone, the more bags we order the lower the shipping costs. We're at 14 sacks so far. Our target range is 37-40 sacks to get the most efficient price. With summer coming, I need to get some Pilsen so I can start making lagers soon. So let's get the ball rolling! :mug:

Back