Temperature for adding yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irisndfan2

Reaction score
Ok so my yeast says on the vial, fermentation will start 5-15 hours after its pitched. NOw it also says to add the yeast when the wort is between 70-75 degree F. But the recipe says to store at 65 degrees F. My question is should i let it sit under 70-75 degrees say overnight and then switch the temp to 65 degrees for the rest of fermentation???? thanks

Don't sweat it too much. But if you have the ability to store at 65F, just bring your wort temp down to 70F, pitch your yeast and put your fermenter in your 65F room and leave it. It will take a lot longer than you think to drop from 70 to 65. That said, most homebrew experts recommend pitching ales at the fermentation temperature.

ale yeast i more active at 75 degrees than 60 degrees, but it will produce more bad flavors (esters) at the higher temp.

many people pitch their yeast at 70 to 73 degrees, then as soon as they see yeast activity (bubbling or a layer of yeast at the top of the wort) they will drop the temperature to 60 or 65 degrees to prolong fermentation and reduce ester production.

during the winter, i try to drop my temperature and keep the bubbles in my air lock or blowoff tube spaced out 10 to 30 seconds apart, and leave it in the primary for 3 or 4 weeks.

In a perfect world you'd pitch below fermentation temp and let the heat from the yeast activity bring it up to the fermentation temp. Then use cooling to keep it from going above the desired temp. As the fermentation activity slows the yeast will stop producing heat. At that point you could use heating to keep the temp at the fermentation temp or just slightly above.

Start cool to control off flavors

Finish warm to let the yeast clean up the beer and for full attenuation

Temp control is a HUGE factor in making great beer.

Back